Is This Right?!?

Options
I bought a HRM today and used it in tonight's Zumba aerobics class. I worked out for 45 minutes at high intensity and it told me I burned 844 calories!!! That can't be right, can it? When I log high impact aerobics in general here on MFP, it's saying I only burned 377. So which is right?

Replies

• lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    Is it the kind with the chest strap? They are usually more accurate. Also, did you input your age, height, and weight before you started? I know that when I first got my HRM it said that I burned more calories than the machines and the database here, but I didn't burn nearly as many as you did. :smile:
  • FalconSays
    FalconSays Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi BellyDancer,

I'm replying cuz I get bummed when I see 60+ views on my post and no reply yet :-)
    You post an excellent question. I hope you get some realistic feedback. I'd like to
    know too. I don't have a heart monitor yet. Nor a pull-up bar that I want.
    Everything adds up so much....I got my P90X in the mail and LOVE IT, but don't want
    to shell out for more stuff yet. Thank goodness this site is free!

I hope you get your answer soon :-)

~Karen
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    If you have your weight personalized into your monitor, it is right, but you should also take off what you would normally burn during that 45 minutes if you dont exercise and log the amount for exercise. :happy:

So if you burned 800 calories according to your monitor, you might take off 200 for the 45 minutes (depending) and log the 600 calories as what you burned.

Hope that helps!! Your gonna love that new little gadget!
  • bellydancer72
    Options
    Well there's the difference! Mine is a "cheapie" at only $25 and it only asked for my age and gender, so I basically need to invest in a better model huh?
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Mine has a chest strap and can be personalized. It was about $80 on sale.

Id see if you can find one that can be set up to your specific height and weight and if you like to swim or do water aerobics get one that is water proof.

:)

My typical 45 minutes on the elliptical at the gym nets me about 480 calories with my monitor, which isnt too far off what MFP gives.