Why have 'rest days'?

Options
No I'm not advocating 7 day a week exercise, I myself make sure I have one rest day a week.

But is it recommended by professionals, and if so why is it recommended? Can anyone tell me what happens to your body on rest days (aside from your muscles resting obv) and what would happen if you didn't have at least one a week? Ta :)

Replies

• Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    No I'm not advocating 7 day a week exercise, I myself make sure I have one rest day a week.

But is it recommended by professionals, and if so why is it recommended? Can anyone tell me what happens to your body on rest days (aside from your muscles resting obv) and what would happen if you didn't have at least one a week? Ta :)
    You tear your muscles down in the gym and they recover and grow out of the gym. When you workout your T levels decrease and your cortisol levels increase. Rest days permit your T-levels to increase and your cortisol levels to decrease.
    With that said, I workout 7 days a week ( nothing wrong with it if you have a proper split and limit your workouts to about an hour) for 50-70 minutes per day, but only lift 4 of those days.