Adkins --- Yay or Nay?

Options
:flowerforyou: Thinking of doing Adkins to boost my weight loss...looking for input from people who have done it.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Tried it years ago when it was the latest and greatest (tells you how old I am), lost a bunch of weight fairly quickly but put it back on after I stopped "dieting"

I'm not sure if the program has been updated much but I found that, like many other high protein low carb diets, it doesn't offer a lifetime solution to healthy nutrition. Would I do it again.......not a chance.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have used a low carb diet to break thought a plateau, and I found that if I minimize combining fat and carbs in the same meal, that helps as well. Something about combining them in the same meal is a trigger for me. The important thing to learn is how YOUR body reacts to carbs and fats.
  • childofbodom123
    childofbodom123 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Carbs are basically a defence for fat. If you cut out carbs you will burn fat quicker, that is a fact. However you need to get your body into a routine and train your metabolism to understand that you are losing weight and eventually you will eat less, so a variable diet is absolutely key to maintaining weight loss. Carbs are vital just like fat but you should always try to eat under your daily goal in both. Burning fat quickly is very bad if you have more than a few pounds to lose because the second you start eating properly again your body is going to cling on to the carbs you consume because it has been starved of them!

So nay to adkins!