knees hurting on the treadmill?

Options
Lately I've noticed that being on the treadmill, jogging, has really hurt my knees. I have also started biking to add more variety to my cardio; I honestly LOVE biking. My fiance and I recently bought bikes, new seats, even those fancy water-backpack things so we can bike for a long time. We did 13 miles in one day and it was awesome! But I can't bike every day so I need to be on the treadmill, but it just KILLS my knees for some reason.

Any idea why? I don't have the elevation up high while jogging, usually at 1.5 or even 1.0, and it hasn't helped at all. I feel like I can't push myself as hard because the pain in my knee is just too much.

Replies

• momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think are...shoes? Do you wear proper fitting runnning shoes?
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Can you get access to an elliptical machine?
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    Shoes would be the first thing I'd check. Second would be the belt on the treadmill (if this is a home unite). If the belt is lose it can move around a bit laterally, which can be tough on the knees. Third, check your form - jogging is jogging, whether it's on a treadmill or the track.
  • bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm using Nike Shock's as my workout shoes. Secondly, I do have a gym membership so I do have access to an elliptical machine. Third.. I *think* my form is okay, but without somebody watching I guess I can't know for sure :(

I will have to check our home treadmill... it is an older, very used unit so that very well could be the problem.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Check out the treadmills & bikes at your gym. I noticed a huge difference in the gym treadmill from mine at home. The gym one had a nice "ortho" type belt, my home one stinks.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is high impact--that's why it hurts. Cycling is low impact, that's why it doesn't hurt. I personally have had degenerative chondromalacia since the age 11, so I have no cartilege left in either knee. For me, walking, running, and jumping are out. Even lunges and step-ups hurt (as I am reminded today having started NROL4W yesterday, ugh).

Anyway, I digress. It is still possible to be very active and keep your knees safe. I do spin, cycling, dancing, paddleboarding and most weight lifting without a problem.

Other cardio ideas include swimming and the elliptical machine.

If you insist on continuing the treadmill (probably not a good idea), at least take some glucosamine chondroitin (be aware it takes up to 6 weeks to really kick in), or for quicker relief try some "purple pectin", which is 3 tsp. of fruit pectin (powder or gel, found in the grocery store canning supplies) mixed with 3 oz. of purple grape, pomegranate, or acai juice, 3x day. (grape has the most calories; choose accordingly).

If you find that you require pain relievers in order to perform certain exercises, that's a hint: don't do them.

blessings.