Tracking Strength Training

Options
Hello Everyone:

I am curious as to how everyone tracks their exercises. I know how to track my cardio, such as the elliptical and the stationary bike, but I am not sure how to track my strength training. My daily routine looks like this:

-10 minutes of stretching/warm ups
- 10 reps of 15/20 leg exercises using the resistance bands (it's kind of hard to explain what I do but it's similar to pilates with the resistance bands for extra strength)
- 10 reps of 15/20 pilates core exercises. This consists of about 5 different core exercises
- 10 reps of 15/20 arm exercises using the resistance bands.
-5 reps of 10 push-ups
- 5 reps of 10 lunges (with no weights for now)
-20/30 minutes on the elliptical or bike (1 minute and normal pace, 30 seconds at fast pace, repeated until the 20/30 minutes is over)

I cannot run or jump so my exercises do not include any of that. I had surgery on my foot about a year ago and I am still limited to the exercises I can do.

If anyone has advice on how I should input my strength training, I would appreciate it. I know that I am burning calories because I am breaking a sweat before I start my cardio.

Also, I feel like I need some guidance in my daily routine. Right now, I work out Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. But when the semester is over (in May) I want to start going to the gym everyday, focusing on different areas on alternating days (since I know you shouldn't work out the same area two days in a row, to allow the muscles time to heal). I don't want to bulk up (hence my 1200 cal. diet) I want to tone done and work on my stomach.

Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• odownz
    odownz Posts: 98
    Options
    I have not tracked any exercises in MFP, but I heard someone saying that the only way to input the strength training is to create it as a cardio workout. Then that will add some calories burned to your day.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    First off..as a woman..you don't produce enough testosterone..to "bulk up". Staying at 1200 calories for the amount you are exercising..will eventually catch up to you. I eat between 1600-2000 calories a day..and I lift 3 days a week...I don't know how you can work out so much and not want to eat more..unless you are suppressing it..which isn't good.

I suggest you up your calories...and hit the weights..it will help tone you..Check out the group on here called New Rules of Lifting For Women
  • addmorecloud
    addmorecloud Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The easiest and most accurate way is to buy a heart rate monitor.