Weight Loss and Breast Feeding

Options
How can I ensure I'm getting enough calories to maintain my breast milk, but still lose weight? The program has me only eating 1200 calories a day, but I need to maintain at least 1500 a day to sustain my breast milk. I still want to lose weight. though. Does anyone have any suggestions how to go about doing this? I burn any where from 300-500 calories a day just breast feeding... I just dont know how much to eat! Can someone please help me??

*I've already lost my pregnancy weight, and 8 pounds more, I'm only 7 weeks Postpartum... I need to ensure proper milk production, and safe and healthy weight loss at the same time..

Replies

• Balentine
    Balentine Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means, but can you take your baby for a brisk walk in the stroller a few times a week?:smile:
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a breastfeeding counselor and nursing mom. Drink tons of water, eat at least 1500 calories a day and eat oatmeal. I know it sounds crazy but oatmeal does help with supply. Most importantly, listen to your body!!! Women can lose weight eating 1800-2000 calories per day while breastfeeding so DO NOT deprive yourself. Weight loss can be a supply killer so please take it easy on yourself.

Good luck, it sounds like you've come a long way already!!!
  • christahollis
    christahollis Posts: 152
    Options
    apricots also boost milk production.