So you retired sneakers from running...

Options
should they be used for walking or work then? I am not a wasteful person by any means and typically once my sneakers are not viable enough for my running, I move them onto my boot camp classes or to wear to work when the weather it hot because they are the only shoes I have that don't look ridiculous with crops and are comfortable. However, I do worry that once they aren't good for running, they may not be good period. Thoughts and opinions??

Replies

• sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I should add that my left overpronates highly so I am in stability and my job is active.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    That's always such a sad day for me... but I do so love my new running shoes every time I get a new pair. It depends on how worn out the old ones are as to whether or not I keep them for alternate use.
  • mbilling
    mbilling Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I wear my retirees to gym classes like kickboxing and zumba, which I probably shouldn't do...I have one pair in my car in case I ever need a pair of sneakers and I have one pair at work to change into for walking on breaks...and I give the rest to my mom who likes to wear them outside in the mud when she's gardening or walking her dogs.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I keep the best retired pair for odd-jobs, where I don't want to ruin the new pair (yard work, hanging out at the lake/ river, mud run, camping, etc.)

Some private running shoe stores will give you a small discount if you donate your old pair as you buy your new pair.

When I have no other options, I'll tie the laces together and drop them in the donation box at my local Goodwill drop station.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Gym to outside shoes, outside shoes to cutting the grass shoes, cutting the grass shoes to garbage.

Three lives per pair, though I wear out the gym shoes 4x faster than the grass shoes. I've started a backlog...
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've started using my older ones for days I lift and even to take the dog for her walks.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My wife hates my running shoes........I have a pair that is used exclusively for running. When that pair get retired from running I'll use them for my other workouts or hanging around on the weekend.

My tri club participates in a charity that provides gently used running shoes to refugee camps in Africa.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I use them for gardening or whatever else, regular just walking shoes. I don't use them for my gym sessions anymore since the cushioning gets so compressed that doing box jumps just sends the force radiating through my legs and it freaking hurts! (Yes, I learned that one first hand.)

But I just don't have the heart to give them away.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I keep the best retired pair for odd-jobs, where I don't want to ruin the new pair (yard work, hanging out at the lake/ river, mud run, camping, etc.)

Some private running shoe stores will give you a small discount if you donate your old pair as you buy your new pair.

When I have no other options, I'll tie the laces together and drop them in the donation box at my local Goodwill drop station.

That's basically what I do, I'll just use them for whatever random things, but not for working out.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I use them for gardening or whatever else, regular just walking shoes. I don't use them for my gym sessions anymore since the cushioning gets so compressed that doing box jumps just sends the force radiating through my legs and it freaking hurts! (Yes, I learned that one first hand.)

But I just don't have the heart to give them away.

This happens to me I think at my workouts sometimes and at work when I run to a crisis call.