Afternoon Carb Cravings!!!!

Options
UGH! Anyone have a good suggestion for alternatives to carbs? Always craving around 2pm! So far, it fits in with my calorie intake and workout but I really want to find a better alternative! I am not against multigrain if thats a better choice! :happy:

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Why can't you have a bit of carbs around 2pm if you are craving them? (I'm not sure what type of diet restrictions you have set up for yourself).

A little bit won't hurt unless there's a medical reason for keeping carbs in check.

What about a slice of low cal multigrain toast?
  • PHATmommy68
    PHATmommy68 Posts: 112
    Options
    Thanks> I haven't had anyone tell me I can't have them but I was always at the belief that there are better alternatives! Love plain bagels! Just not the cals and carb count
  • mamadrums
    mamadrums Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also have to plan a snack between lunch and dinner - it's just to far in between not to eat! I like baked tortilla chips and hummus or salsa, fruit to help with a sweet tooth, no sugar added applesauce cups, Clif mini bars (only 100 calories!), healthy tortilla/wrap with something in the middle (cheese, meat). Luna bars are yummy also. Hope that helps a bit.
  • PHATmommy68
    Options
    I already have the sugar free applesauce daily! LOVE IT! I am just looking for something filling between lunch and dinner!
  • mamadrums
    mamadrums Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you like popcorn? Air popped or the 100 calorie bags are good. I'm eating it as I type this, lol.
  • raylenebrooks
    raylenebrooks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    protein shake for me daily not carbs but does the trick
    or sometime luna bars love those
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    First, drink a big glass of cold water.

Sit back, relax. Are you feeling more calm and in control of that craving yet?

Now try a snack that contains some fat and protein.

My fave afternoon snack is Emerald Dark Cocoa Roast Almonds.
    Here's the breakdown: http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/emerald/cocoa-roast-almonds

Sometimes I'll have these as a bedtime snack instead. Healthy fats and proteins keep me feeling satiated until morning!

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I second the protein shake. If I'm having an afternoon carbs craving, it's usually also a sweet craving, so I blend up a protein shake with frozen bananas and add peanut butter and cocoa to make it really dessert-like and satisfying.
  • PHATmommy68
    Options
    Thanks for all the awesome suggestions! I used to eat Luna Bars! Maybe I will give that a try! The Emerald Dark Cocoa Roast Almonds sound incredible! I will have to check that out! As to the shakes, I am working during the day so I don't have the resources or the understanding bosses around that would grant me the short time it would take to blend a protein shake!
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I crave salty carbs so what really helps me is the Blue Diamond Smokehouse almonds. One serving is about 28 nuts (that's way more than I can eat), 2 net carbs (5g carbs & 3g fiber) and 6g protein.

A serving is 170 calories but it usually just takes me 7 (1/4 serving, 42.5cal). The most its taken is 14 nuts (85 cal) to stop the craving. My problem is having them around when the cravings hit so now I'll have a can at work and a can in my car. The 100 pack servings are much easier to carry around but they don't have smokehouse type and I never finish a pack.
  • raylenebrooks
    Options
    I buy eas premade about $ 5 for 4 not as cheap but sooo easy 110 cal just an idea can even have it with a few crackers etc but helps to fill you up
  • PHATmommy68
    Options
    I buy eas premade about $ 5 for 4 not as cheap but sooo easy 110 cal just an idea can even have it with a few crackers etc but helps to fill you up

Is that like Muscle Milk?
  • raylenebrooks
    Options
    yes I liked the light muscle milk too but it cost more , It took me a long time to be able to find one I liked but it helps keep me full and doesnt ruin my calories. The one I buy I can find at target and walmart eas carb control chocolate fudge (It is the only flavor I buy) 4 carbs 3 fat 17 grams protein 110 calories. I drink 2 everyday.........in the morning and around 3ish
  • PHATmommy68
    Options
    Actually, I grabbed a Kashi GoLean Crunchy bar (Chocolate Carmel) this afternoon and I can only say AWESOME!. Very delicious and takes a lot to chew it (so you don't wolf it down). Best thing going! :love: