Biggest and Slowest losers, where are you?

Options
Anyone else here a slow loser? I have very similar eating and exercise habits to a couple of my MFP friends (with similar stats) but my weight loss is just crawling along at a snail's pace. Now this is NOT an intentional slow loss, I would love to lose a steady 2lbs a week, but I'm trying to accept that this is just the rate that my body wants to let go of excess weight and that while I can control a lot of things to a certain extent, this is not one of them.

I eat enough and not too much, so I'm not looking for diary criticism, just some other people who have 80-100lbs to lose and aren't seeing 2-3lb weekly losses, to know that I'm not the only one! :smile:

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Anyone else here a slow loser? I have very similar eating and exercise habits to a couple of my MFP friends (with similar stats) but my weight loss is just crawling along at a snail's pace. Now this is NOT an intentional slow loss, I would love to lose a steady 2lbs a week, but I'm trying to accept that this is just the rate that my body wants to let go of excess weight and that while I can control a lot of things to a certain extent, this is not one of them.

I eat enough and not too much, so I'm not looking for diary criticism, just some other people who have 80-100lbs to lose and aren't seeing 2-3lb weekly losses, to know that I'm not the only one! :smile:

As one of your MFP friends with similar stats, I am also puzzled. I've been pretty steady to date with 1-2 pound losses a week.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a slow loser.... took me 6 years to lose 100 pounds!

Now, let me explain that the first 80 came off quickly just by eating healthy and walking, but then I had some normal life drama and gained weight.... lost weight... gained weight.... lost weight... After a couple of years of that, I stayed within the same 10 pound range for a year while I figured out why I wasn't losing. Basicially, I hadn't dealt with the issues that got me to 252 pounds in the first place. So I spent some time figuring that out, took up running and eventually got the weight off. And my average weight loss (when I was losing) was about 1/2 a pound a week.

And in April I will celebrate two years of keeping those 100 pounds off!! :happy:

Slow and steady.... that's my motto! So just hang in there and take it day by day. You CAN do this!! :flowerforyou:
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Thanks, and congrats on maintaining your weight loss!

"Slow and steady" is the motto, but it can be a hard pill to swallow at times.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It can be hard. I find I go through phases. Some periods of very rapid loss, and then slooooooooowwwww times when it seems to go off in ounces rather than pounds.

I don't think we have all that much control over how we lose weight, really. Our bodies seem to do it as they see fit.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I believe I fit in this category. I look, feel, and seem to lose weight, but I'm not losing it in 10 lbs chunks like people think I am. At this point, I would believe I'm losing that much fat and gaining the muscle at that same relative weight.

I lost 13 pounds in the first 8 weeks. The first 11 were in the first 2 weeks, and then I lost .5 pounds in 3 weeks, and the rest came off 3-4 weeks after that.

I tend to lose in spurts... very slow crawl then BOOM then slow crawl then BOOM I believe it's my body holding on for dear might then it just goes F IT and let's it go.

You can add me if you like, you'll see that I have a standard 2lbs deficit and work out a lot more than many my size (6'1" and 445 as of last weigh in) I've lost a cumulative 40 in the last year... Though by my pics, I think you'd think it was more.

Anyway, good luck :)
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm averaging 1.3lbs a month. Lost faster at the start, and I'm losing faster again now, but in the middle I went through a stage where my only exercise was walking and I gained almost 10lbs back, trying to fix the problem. Once I worked it out towards the end of last year, I got things back in order.

I'm in no rush, I gave myself until I was late 27/early 28 to do lose 54lbs, and I'm not even 25 for another 6 months and have dropped 19lbs.
  • da_sammit
    da_sammit Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    im a slow loser too... on average i get around 600-800gr every two weeks. i would LOVE to see that push over to a kilo or even more, but i think im on the slow end because of how much i have to lose (10kg left to GW, possible 5kg extra to lose on top of that)
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow loser. Not even sure it's coming off anymore, that's how slow it is lol
    I'm averaging just under 0.5lb per week, but that's getting lower as the time goes on. I've a loooong way to go!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    I am a slow loser and have a significant amount to lose. I lost 30 pounds in my first year very slowly while others lost faster. I refuse to set my calorie goal to 1200. I have been in an extended stall and recently upped my calories so eating too few calories for my exercise level may have contributed but even after I adjust I suspect that my loss will still be slow. I was critiquing my calories not yours. I would be happy with 1 pound a week and in fact don't want it faster. So far I have lost alot of fat, inches, sizes and have no loose skin yet and I am older than you. So slow has its advantages. I just want to see a loss.