thanks for that
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    banana_phone.jpg
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms have a boatload of potassium! I love them sauted in a little olive oil! Mmmmmm! About 338 mg per 2 cups!

Foods with Potassium

Serving Size

Potassium (mg)

Apricots, dried

10 halves

Avocados, raw

1 ounce

Bananas, raw

1 cup

Beets, cooked

1 cup

Brussel sprouts, cooked

1 cup

Cantaloupe

1 cup

Dates, dry

5 dates

Figs, dry

2 figs

Kiwi fruit, raw

1 medium

Lima beans

1 cup

Melons, honeydew

1 cup

Milk, fat free or skim

1 cup

Nectarines

1 nectarine

Orange juice

1 cup

Oranges

1 orange

Pears (fresh)

1 pear

Peanuts dry roasted, unsalted

1 ounce

Potatoes, baked,

1 potato

Prune juice

1 cup

Prunes, dried

1 cup

Raisins

1 cup

Spinach, cooked

1 cup

Tomato products, canned sauce

1 cup

Winter squash

1 cup

Yogurt plain, skim milk

8 ounces

• Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    dont forget potatoes. they are a great source too.
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    veggies and fruits of many kinds (including avocado) are good sources of potassium. i'm not much for supplements unless it's b-12, which a vegan diet doesn't provide. i heard that potassium helps the body balance sodium, so i've been watching it too. yesterday i finally hit the over-3500 mark on potassium!! felt so proud! but by end of day went over calories (no need--i'd hit the potassium mark by mid-day); just on an eating frenzy this week i guess.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love MFP. Everyone's comments have been so helpful. I'm actually capturing the potassium in my foods by label to see how much the MFP entries actually omit. I like bananas, spinach and yogurt. I love lima beans. I haven't been eating any legumes recently. I think I will add them back. I haven't really liked potatoes much recently so that one will be difficult. I find that my food tastes have been changing drastically since I really started working out.
  • 1derfuldia
    1derfuldia Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this! I've been worried that I never meet my potassium goal on MFP, too. The avocado and coconut water suggestions are great and I love pdworkman's idea of turning on the potassium column.

Super helpful post :)
  • kpappas1993
    kpappas1993 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was worried about my potassium intake as well, because I never reach my goal. I have muscle pain and my joints bother me and I'm only 23. I started taking a potassium supplement of 99mg. Definitely don't do more than that, it can kill you. I have low blood sugar, so my protein levels are constantly low. I started drinking special k protein shakes. Theyou taste so good! They have 15g of protein, ando 545 MG of potassium. It's safe, and healthy. Oh and they only have 190 calories
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Red potatoes.. egg whites.. source yogurt
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I was worried about my potassium intake as well, because I never reach my goal. I have muscle pain and my joints bother me and I'm only 23. I started taking a potassium supplement of 99mg. Definitely don't do more than that, it can kill you. I have low blood sugar, so my protein levels are constantly low. I started drinking special k protein shakes. Theyou taste so good! They have 15g of protein, ando 545 MG of potassium. It's safe, and healthy. Oh and they only have 190 calories
    A 99mg supplement is microscopic. My RDI is 3500mg and 99 wouldn't even put a dent in that.

• EricExtreme
    EricExtreme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I run several tomatoes through the juicer every day to get my potassium.