Fellow runners: How to still burn calories with a foot injur

Options
My fellow runners out there...I need some advice!

I am dealing with foot pain again in my left foot. I am going to see my orthopedic as soon as I can get a hold of them and in there so no I don't really want any diagnoses here. Simply put, I am being smart and not training this week and not pushing my limits with other options like insanity, etc. The pain began when my sneakers needed replacement and I had a half marathon planned with no money to buy new ones, so I believe the culprit is the old shoes but the ortho will tell me more I am sure.

My question is: What are some low impact HIGH INTENSITY workouts? I already do boot camp style, Flipping tires, pulling chains, push ups galore, etc but I need to keep up my endurance somehow and cannot make spinning consistently due to my schedule. Suggestions of what I can do that will keep my HR up like my boot camp workouts but NOT put me at risk of further injuring my ankle/foot right now.

And please remember: I am not looking for a diagnosis. I am already taking the precautions I need to and have new sneakers. This is a foot that I have injured in high school cheering, etc and I have it wrapped in KT tape always as well.

Replies

• purplechic
    purplechic Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I injured myself (knee injury) a couple years ago (no running allowed for 2 months.. unfortunately as I was training for a half marathon!), the physio advised swimming and biking so Instead of running 5-6 days a week, I swam (usually my pool sessions were 45 mins minmum and goes up to 1 hour and a half_. Usually start off with a few warm-up laps then gradually build to really fast laps. It definitely got my heart racing and I get reasonably puffed doing it. Your HR will be lower in water (temperature lower) but I believe that you will get a good workout with no impact at all, provided you go hard.

I then ran the half marathon two months later. Did a lot better than what I'd thought without doing any running prior!

That said, I found swimming boring as hell and part of getting through the workout was challenging mentally as well.

Get well soon!
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I unfortunately don't have access to a pool though. i used to swim competitively so I do wish I did!!
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Look up ShovelGlove (shovelglove.com)

In December I was injured while running, MVA vs ped, and broke my foot in three places.
    After about two weeks of moping, I found shovelglove, which is a workout using a sledgehammer as an offset weight.
    It's as intense or lame as you want to make it, and very customizeable. And very core intensive.

I did it with my broken foot in a primarily heel-down position.

Later, I added shadowboxing, which I could also do with a heel-planted position. Yes, my form suffered, but it was still nicely aerobic. Then I added weighted gloves, now 2lbs each.

Now that I'm back to running (C25K week2, day 3, today), I still do shovelgloving and shadowboxing, fairly randomly to keep my body guessing. Also do weighted-sword tai-chi and standard tai-chi and tai-chi sword, but of course there's nothing intense about those, only graceful movement and peaceful feelings. Oooomm....

Point being, be creative, and make it up as you go along. :-) Break rules, be defiant.

Pj
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tip!!! I use sledgehammers on tires at my gym so that is definitely an option.