Homemade Whole grain Bread

Options
larthur
larthur Posts: 37 Member
First a few tips. You'll notice I use honey as my sweetener, the reason for that is honey adds to and enhances the flavor of whole grains you will have a better tasting bread when using it. I also have a large mixer that has a powerful enough motor to handle whole grain dough, it has to kneed properly in order for the gluten in the dough to develop properly. And my last tip is... and this is the most criticle, your dough should be VERY sticky when you are putting it into loaves, not gooey but sticky enough that you need flour on your hands to prevent it from sticking to them. These are just a few things i've learned that will make it easier for you if you know from the beginning. So, here's my recipe.

In my wheat grinder I grind 7 cups hard red winter wheat and 2 cups 6 grain mix (don't grind your flax in with your flour, flax has so much oil in it it will ruin your grinder)

Add these ingredients in this order to your mixer:
5 cups very warm water
1 TBLSP Sea Salt
1/2 cup pure honey
5 cups FRESH ground wheat flour
2-3 TBLSP flax seed
4 TBLSP gluten
2 TBLS dough enhancer
1 TBLSP plus 1TSP SAF instant yeast

Mix for 3 minutes on medium speed

add: 1/2 cup coconut oil (for years I used real butter,(melted) which is also very good and easier to get)
Mix

add 5-6 cups more flour or until it is a soft sticky consistancy

Mix for 7 more minutes on medium speed, this is the mixing that develops the gluten and you can't skimp on this one.

form into 3 loaves and put into a WARM oven for 20 minutes to rise, then set the tempeture to 350 degree's and bake for 32-35 minutes.

Enjoy

Replies

• awinmac
    awinmac Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe, and the tips.
    Always nice to see how someone else goes about the bread making process.

cheers!
    -Amber