To Gluten Free or not to Gluten Free

Options
I have a friend who is gluten, black pepper, corn, and soy allergic. Since finding out they seem to of really lost weight (compared to me). My question is 2 part I guess. A) anyone else think going gluten free is the way to go, if so need suggestions. B) Those that have do you have any good recipes. Especially keeping my friend in mind. She has trouble finding recipes or items that don't have one of the items she can't eat in them.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    honestly i cant understand why someone who doesnt have issues with gluten would want to cometely rule it out of their lufe.

i have allergies to it, but its a pain in the butt since i pretty much have to make everything i eat from scratch. its definitely not a lifestyle id willingly choose.

there are tons of gluten free sites and cookbooks on the market (even for pastries and baked goods)
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I think cutting back on processed food is good for everyone. And yes...flour is a processed food, even if its "whole wheat" flour.

But I'm GF due to allergies (not celiac, I'm literally allergic to wheat), and its a pain in the *kitten*. I probably think most of the health benefits of going GF can be gotten by cutting back. Eat potatoes (a whole food) instead of bread. Or rice instead of pasta. You'll probably feel better.

But assigning yourself a lifetime of asking about how something is cooked in a restaurant, buying more expensive GF products, and having difficulty sharing food with everyone else...well, I'm not sure that's something to do just for weight loss. You probably will lose weight, but mostly because you'll be cooking a lot instead of eating out!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    The weight loss is likely from the elimination of foods they liked to eat. Now they have to find substitutes or go without. I've tried some gluten free products, and frankly I'd rather go without.

If you think you are sensitive/allergic/celiac you could try going a week or two without and see if it helps any, while maintaining the same caloric intake.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    If a person does have an issue with gluten then yes, it can make a difference in weight loss. If you have no issues it probably won't make much of a difference. I have a gluten free kid (she has serious issues) so the rest of us are mostly gluten free to since it's just easier to cook one meal than two different ones. She hasn't had any dramatic weight loss but has been gradually slimming down doing P90X and New Rules of Lifting for Women with me. If you have no issues it probably won't matter. :)
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I got taken off a bunch of things due to intolerance a few months back, gluten being one of them. It's a royal pain in the *kitten*. I have no clue why anyone would choose to be gluten free it they didn't have a medical reason to do it. I can assure you, if I could, I would be having a nice sandwich right now filled with all sorts of veggies, gluten free bread does not compare to a nice piece of fresh bread and lettuce wraps get pretty lame.

If you have no medical reason, I would just suggest the same as any other food...everything is good in moderation. Gluten is in SOOOOOOO much stuff you'd never think of. I now spend twice as long when I go grocery shopping and my grocery bill is higher because I can't have gluten, dairy, eggs, or soy.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I try to be supportive of her since she is a dear friend. I thought I would try it. I have 2 other friends who are gluten free and Celiac problems. I just figured I want their support in my trying to get healthy and loose the weight I'd try to find out as much about their issues and be as supportive of them as I could. And if there was some benefit to me then all the better. Thanks again. I am sorry for those of you who have to do it and struggle with finding foods and such. That is the problem with my good friend. Thanks again for your input.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sandwiches i definitely miss most.

the choices are gluten free breads and wraps that crumble if you look at them sideways, wrapping romaine lettuce, or spending the time to make my own gluten free bread. itd bad enough i gotta make my own 'soy' sauce :laugh:

i don't have time to make bread too
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I just found out my son has a ton of food allergies and wheat is one of them. Some of the GF/WF stuff we've tried is actually pretty good but it's super expensive. It's also time consuming to make a lot of the things we like from scratch. And we have to ask a lot of questions when/if we go out to eat. I'm not sure it's something I'd try just to see if I could lose weight from it unless you have the time and money. *I* think it's very frustrating for a person who has allergies to have to deal with it, if you don't have allergies or other medical reasons to stay away from certain foods I'm sure it would be even more frustrating and probably just make you want to give up after a while. But that's just me.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

the choices are gluten free breads and wraps that crumble if you look at them sideways, wrapping romaine lettuce, or spending the time to make my own gluten free bread. itd bad enough i gotta make my own 'soy' sauce :laugh:

And why the heck doesn't "Udi's" know how to cut a friggin bagel dammit!!!!
    I'm sick of having a super skinny top piece and super thick bottom piece!!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    Rudis Bread my one friend said is the best my other friend said Ezekiel's was. I did find some waffles that were really good but now I can't remember the name of them. They were gluten free and made with fruit juice but not soy free so my one friend who has more issues with soy then wheat can't eat them. But if anyone knows the name of them I cant think of it let me know. They are super good. I like them better then regular waffles.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Van's waffles?

ezekiel has sprouted wheat and stuff in it
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    Thanks yes Van's. Thank you. I remember if I called them I could get a coupon for my next purchase if I asked. Just couldn't remember the name. And I tossed the box already. Thanks
  • smbh45
    smbh45 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

And why the heck doesn't "Udi's" know how to cut a friggin bagel dammit!!!!
    I'm sick of having a super skinny top piece and super thick bottom piece!!

Amen to that! I have Celiac disease and it totally is a pain in the...... I don't understand why anyone would choose it as a lifestyle. It just complicates every choice you make and every social activity that you do. Don't even get me started on what it's like to travel.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Gluten free food are not health foods! They're labeled for people who have allergies/reactions to gluten.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    Gluten free food are not health foods! They're labeled for people who have allergies/reactions to gluten.

I knew there was a lot of trouble eating gluten free. But I didn't know if it was a healthy way or not. I want to eat healthy and help my family do so. I've tried to get my doctor to send me to a nutritionist or someone to help with the our daily intake of food. He just said join WW. I'm sorry I know WW works for some but never has for me and I just get discouraged and give up after months of trying. Now this new points system makes it worse. I just want to eat in a way that is healthy and easy to track.