Enough Calories

Options
I don't think my calorie allotment is enough. It first suggested that I eat 1370 calories a day which seems really low. So I adjusted it to 1500, but I am still starving. Is there an effective way to determine how many calories I personally need to lose the weight. I don't want to keep upping it and end up not losing anything, but I feel like i'm not getting enough. I find that by around 2pm I only barely have any calories left and I am super hungry. I eat healthy meals and snacks but I burn through my calories and I find myself fighting through hunger, which I know cant be good (because I wont last very long). Any suggestions?? Thanks

Replies

• eelane
    eelane Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    mine is at 1200 =/ I find the most effective ways to keep from being hungry are to eat LOTS of low calorie foods so you can fill up on them.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I don't think my calorie allotment is enough. It first suggested that I eat 1370 calories a day which seems really low. So I adjusted it to 1500, but I am still starving. Is there an effective way to determine how many calories I personally need to lose the weight. I don't want to keep upping it and end up not losing anything, but I feel like i'm not getting enough. I find that by around 2pm I only barely have any calories left and I am super hungry. I eat healthy meals and snacks but I burn through my calories and I find myself fighting through hunger, which I know cant be good (because I wont last very long). Any suggestions?? Thanks

Have a look here - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

if you are relying on the MFP calculations make sure your actvity levels are correct, and that you haven't set too aggresive a weight loss goal.
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Find your BMR (there's a calculator in the Tools) then multiply it by your activity.
    If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Once you have this number, reduce it by 20% or 500 calories, as long as it is above your BMR. It might be you're not eating enough.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Under tools you can find a BMR calculator that will tell you how many calories your body needs to function and I would also sugest looking again at your lifestyle. Are you really lightly active or are you active? Thank very carefully about it and see what happens!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    open your diary please. 1500 is plenty for me. pretty much where I want to be though, just trying to tone up a lot. how tall? how much do you want to lose? you dont look as if you have that much to go. hard to say what to give you for advice since we cant see what you are eating hon.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    The only thing I don't like about MFP is the amount of daily calories it sets for most people is too low. It gave me 1200 and I have my BMR done and it is between 1383-1643. I found when I ate more, I actually started to lose again and I don't feel hungry. I am not an expert on BMR, but if you eat too little, you won't lose and could actually gain or lose muscle.
    "Everyone has a BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the number of calories your body needs to function and be inactive-think digestion, blood flow and organ functions. Once you add in activity of any kind,you have to consume more to offset that activity. Now, if you eat below your BMR ( which for most women is 1500 cals per day) your body goes into starvation mode. Your body begins to store fat as fuel and burn lean muscle mass, this muscle mass comes from your heart, liver, lungs and brain. When your body exhausts those stores, it will then move onto the fat stores."
    Here is what someone gave me, and this person lost about 50 pounds going from a size 12 to a size 0.

If you are interested, search Harris-Benedict BMR formula and it should be easy to calculate your own.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

You're don't have much to lose, so be sure to only set your weekly goal to lose 0.5 pounds a week. And make sure your activity level is set accurately.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    You look pretty good in your photo, look's like you don't need to lose much.
    In my opinion, i reckon you should eat at least 1500 calories as you are now
    up to 2000 calories. So the way i see it, don't go above 2000 but don't go below 1500.

Tips

1) Eat plenty of protein, it has been proven that increasing your protein intake will keep you more full for longer, compared to carbs and fats.
    2) Protein is also more Thermogenic, meaning your body needs to work harder to break down proteins into amino acids, therefor burning more calories during digestion
    3) Drink water before each meal, just for the shear fact that it will also trick your body into thinking it's eaten a lot
    4) High protein, low calorie foods that can keep you full include:
    - eggs including the yolk!
    - cottage cheese (this is actually a good one, i eat about 100g when I'm feeling really hungry)
    - whey protein with skim milk or almond milk
    - chicken breast
    - tuna