What's going wrong? I need help.

Options
I'm getting tired of trying to work out not only what's going wrong but how to fix it.
Huge plateau, so stuck.
I have fiddled with calories ,changed my exercises, tried various things.
What worked for me before isn't working any more.

3feb - 110.9
10 feb - 110.6
17 feb - 110
24 feb - 110
2mar - 110
9mar - 109.8
16mar - 109.8
23 mar - 109.8

I weighed myself everyday this week and saw the numbers coming down, was so excited when it got down to 109.3 yesterday then boom, back up this morning on official weigh day.
I know i'm not one of those who does extraordinary amounts of exercise but I sure do a lot more than I did 7 months ago. I also know I don't eat enough clean food but I have changed my eating heaps since I started & I am continuing to make changes as I go.
I have managed to get my carbs down a lot ,used to be ridiculous and I've been working on getting my protein higher. I am trying.
What has gone wrong?
I don't want to be stuck here, I need to move the numbers so I can keep it up . I'm losing my motivation.
Yes , I measure and I've only lost 1 cm on my thigh this month, bust is up 1 cm and the rest are the same.
Thanks

Replies

• peggyj49
    peggyj49 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was stuck for about 4 weeks. I did some research on the net , read a lot of stuff and here is what I did. I increased calories, didn't make sense to me but it worked. I had been eating 1200 calories a day and I increased it to 1390. And I added strength training to my cardio workout. I now do rowing machine and ab lounger as well as walking and yoga. It did work. I started losing again. Hope this helps.
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am upping my calories. I started last week and so far I have dropped a small amount :o) not much over a pound, but still.........

I hit the gym 3 times a week for 2 hours each time. I watch my sugars and have upped my protein........

good luck to you....I am fixing to jump really high off my plateau maybe we shall meet each other on the way down :o)

my motivation? I look in the mirror and tell myself how good I look !!!! works for me :o)
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm really not sure about putting my calories up any more.
    I'm on 1610 at the moment, put it there last Wednesday. That is for a 1lb loss per week.
    My BMR is 1686
    My Maintenance is 2110
    I had it set before that for a while at 2110 and was trying to get between 500- 800 deficit so I was fluctuating between 1300 cals a day to about 1600. I did have some higher day but I also had some lower days.
    I try to eat only half of my exercise calories as I don't have a HRM.
  • jaabee11
    Options
    bump
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    How are your sugar levels? I noticed if carb levels are low sugar levels may be up. Something to watch. Aslo you might want to increase the intensity of your workouts. For example. If your walking on the treadmill try doing the incline at different levels to increase your heart rate and over a period of time you might notice a change. Just a thought to throw your way.
    Good luck to you on your quest. :D
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    Don't give up... I started losing in January 2011 was faithfully losing 1 pound a week..Until August...I had lost 30 pounds and I haven't lost a pound since. I've upped my cals and downed my cals... upped cardio, lowered cardio, upping my weights now with cardio and waiting to see what happens.. HOWEVER!!! Even after I stopped losing weight..I still lost inches. I had lost 36 inches up until August and have lost another 9 since then. So don't give up and DO measure yourself. It's not all about the scale. Good Luck!
  • eissak
    eissak Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you've just increased your calories last week your body may still need some time to adjust. Give it another week or two at that calorie range. I'm no expert, but increasing helped me. It just took a couple of weeks for my body to catch up. And LOTS of water :)
  • jaabee11
    Options
    okay I'm going to watch my sugars, up the protein, make sure I drink my water and generally try harder to eat cleaner. That's the big one, eating cleaner. I'm not a big salad eater, I love my bread but have already cut it out so much. I do enjoy a bikky with my cuppa.
    Thank for the advice, I will keep trying to improve as I go.
  • JakinsandPeykins
    Options
    I am also upping calories, eating back calories, and swearing off the scale for 2 weeks. It seems so scary to me and counter intuitive to be doing the exact opposite of the way I was raised (been dieting with my mother my whole life) But I'm going to try. It really seems to make sense after i heard it the 500th time.

So just to be sure....if I am upping my cals from 1200 to 1400....that's definitely after eating exercise calories back, too? Meaning after I have exercised today and ate back those calories I will already be at 1500. Should I eat another 100-200?
  • jaabee11
    Options
    If you are on 1400 and you've decided to eat your exercise calories then presuming you burnt the 200 then you should eat a total of 1600 for the day.
    1400 +200 = 1600 calories. Your net will still show as 1400. 1600-200=1400. clear as mud.
    Make sure you have't overestimated your exercise calories though if you don't have a HRM.
    I am also upping calories, eating back calories, and swearing off the scale for 2 weeks. It seems so scary to me and counter intuitive to be doing the exact opposite of the way I was raised (been dieting with my mother my whole life) But I'm going to try. It really seems to make sense after i heard it the 500th time.

So just to be sure....if I am upping my cals from 1200 to 1400....that's definitely after eating exercise calories back, too? Meaning after I have exercised today and ate back those calories I will already be at 1500. Should I eat another 100-200?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Couple of things to consider:

You should eat at least your BMR - so 1600 still looks a little low
    Try to get some strength training in if you do not already

Good luck
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you've just increased your calories last week your body may still need some time to adjust. Give it another week or two at that calorie range. I'm no expert, but increasing helped me. It just took a couple of weeks for my body to catch up. And LOTS of water :)

^^this
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I wish I had advice to give you. I've been stuck at the same weight since January 29th. However, even without much exercise I have managed to lose a whole pant size since (which lets face it, people can see your size and shape and NOT that evil number on the scale) and FINALLY today when I stepped on the scale I had lost 0.6lbs. I know for both my father and I, we hold onto our weight. We do everything "right" and don't lose forever and then all of a sudden shed a bunch in a short period of time, then spend the next couple months not losing a pound. I hope you aren't cursed like us :laugh: So hopefully today was the start of a large weight loss for me. Just don't give up!! Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised soon too!
  • MissRoz
    MissRoz Posts: 4
    Options
    Strength training! Strength training keeps your BMR high because as you lose weight your BMR goes down. The other half should be cardio. In my opinion, you should cut your calories. I'm a big girl but even my daily at first was 1500 now I'm down to 1440. I would say these two things should help and if not, go see a doctor. Rather than cutting carbs and increasing protein, focus on a balanced diet and increase nutrient dense foods such as vegis.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Jaabee11, what kind of exercise are you doing?
  • coahdan
    coahdan Posts: 19
    Options
    I was stuck for a couple weeks as well so I decided to do a 1 day fast. Drank tons of water and green tea during the day but didn't eat any calories.

Not gonna lie, it was a miserable day. But when I went back to my regular eating I noticed that I was again losing my 2 pounds per week.

I am considering adding a fasting day once per month now.
  • stephl21uk
    stephl21uk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i also did a detox day but it didnt help my loss i lost my usual 2lb but maybe a good idea.....ive just looked at ur diary and it seems as tho altho you eat within ur goals it not the most heathly food.....(hope this doesnt sound mean as ive came across 'no it alls' on here and there not nice, just trying to help :0) ) ur sodium levels are also quite high which stores water...... feel free to have a gander at my diary......ive had a few 'high' days over the last week or 2 but i do try to mix it up with lots of fresh homecooked foods instead of processed....hope you get through ur plateau xx
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I'm really not sure about putting my calories up any more.
    I'm on 1610 at the moment, put it there last Wednesday. That is for a 1lb loss per week.
    My BMR is 1686
    My Maintenance is 2110
    I had it set before that for a while at 2110 and was trying to get between 500- 800 deficit so I was fluctuating between 1300 cals a day to about 1600. I did have some higher day but I also had some lower days.
    I try to eat only half of my exercise calories as I don't have a HRM.

if you are already on 109.3, how much more are you trying to lose?

In the last 10lbs you should change your settings to losing 0.5lb per week.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I saw a lot of sugars in your diary. Get the same calories, but more protein, less carbs (refined sugar). Just a thought :)
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options

I am considering adding a fasting day once per month now.

Well, we Mormons aren't so crazy after all, eh? lol...