How does a person exercise if they can't walk?

Options
I'm new to MFP and am liking it so far. I've read some great success stories here! I dont have much weight to lose, but it's been so hard to take off even 1 pound...until I started tracking my food intake here. This is fun and keeps me accountable. :wink:

My main problem is that I keep fracturing bones in both my feet, so I cant really walk...it's more like a shuffle. So...exercise is out. :ohwell: I also have arthritis in both feet and a large neuroma in one foot. The cartilege is just about gone in some of the bones in my feet, too. Hopefully I'll be having foot surgery soon, but I have no guarantee that the surgery will help. I do laugh a lot, which helps, but I really envy those of you who can walk. I sure miss it!! I used to love walking, even just a year ago.

So...any suggestions for me? Im sure there are others who have the same problem I do. I have a friend who needs to lose more than 200 lbs, and he can't walk much either. :sad: I also love to dance, but now I dance sitting in my chair! :bigsmile:

Replies

• honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Oh, no, don't say "exercise is out"! That couldn't be farther from the truth!

Some of my most intense and muscle building workouts are done on my back! No, not that, silly. Bench pressing. I'm female, and not very strong, and I started with weights in January and I am amazed at the inches and pounds that are falling off of me. I am much more toned than I was. Lifting will help you lose in all the right places, too, not just your arms. The more muscle you have on your body, the more you will burn calories when you are not doing anything, so it will work on your whole body.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Swimming. Resistance bands. Never say never.
  • cbteach1
    cbteach1 Posts: 6
    Options
    I would try crunches too. Also, if you have access to a pool, pool aerobics or even just laps would be very helpful. Not sure of your specific condition if the swimming would help, but if it can that would be awesome! Best of luck and I hope the surgery goes well!
  • amandaramsey
    amandaramsey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Shadow boxing can be done while sitting and can get your heart rate up pretty quickly....especially if you do it while holding weights.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    33 months ago I was 560 lbs., home bound for over 2 years and unable to walk from my chair to the bathroom without sitting down in between. I have grade 3 osteoarthritis in both knee's, torn meniscus in both knee's and a torn ACL in my left knee. I started with a doctors script for aquatic therapy and began my weightloss chest deep water. The water displaced my weight and aloud me to exercise. When I started I could barely do 5 minutes but over time I did more and more. I lost over 170 lbs. in the pool over 16 months and then worked my way out of the pool and into Knee braces, pain pills, and injection therapy.. I lost another 133 lbs. between the pool and land based exercises like seated elliptical, recumbent bikes, UBE upper body bike, You have options just got to try some.. I would definitely think about water exercises for people with joint issues it is amazing... Good Luck...
  • Lifelive
    Lifelive Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    can you get into a pool? there you can move you legs without touching the ground.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    There are some exercise videos out there that are actually designed to be done while sitting down. The target audience may be seniors whose balance isn't great, but it might be a nice place to start! The exercises would be gentle and doable.

If you do a search for "chair exercise" on Amazon, there are quite a few options.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Aside from swimming, I've heard really good things about Chair aerobics. Where you exercise your upper body while sitting. Amazon has DVDs or you can check your local library or YouTube. http://www.amazon.com/Chair-Aerobics-Everyone-Nikki-Glazer/dp/B000FEMBXK

Also, you could use an "Arm bike" Where you use your arm instead of legs to do the cycling. http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Sunny-Mini-Cycle-Arm-and-Leg-Exercise-Machine/2497744/product.html
  • Bonnieelizabeth
    Bonnieelizabeth Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try chair salsa. Do some arm circles Do some leg lifts while laying down. You may also benefit from doing therapy on your quads . The therapy will give you strength for after your surgery. Best Wishes
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    SWIMMM!!!!!!

I'm a former college swimmer, it is the best exercise ever. You don't need to walk to work out.

You can aqua job, take deep water exercise classes, swim laps. The possibilities are endless.

You can get a Pool Buoy (foamy thing that you put between your legs) that will support your lower body in the water so you don't even need to kick while swimming.

I don't know about your access to a pool, however, I have worked as a lifeguard and currently work as a swim coach and many pools actually have chairs that lift people into the water. If that isn't available I have also seen ramps and waterproof wheelchairs. I have helped many many many people in wheelchairs into and out of the pool.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    My aunt is in a wheelchair and she's found some innovative exercise products online, like resistance bands and the infamous shake weight. She can also do arm circles for cardio. Your doctor would be a good person to ask about exercises since they know the extent of your disability better than anyone here.
  • Mybabie
    Mybabie Posts: 239
    Options
    Swimming. :smile:
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    SWIMMING! I swam when I hurt my ankle for 6 weeks last summer. GREAT cardio and little pain!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Swimming. Resistance bands. Never say never.

yup my mum has problems walking to so she swims every morning

and has lost about 20lbs in 3 months doing it
  • cunnine
    cunnine Posts: 52
    Options
    Their is an exercise program on cable tv this month, featuring chair excercise upper and lower body moves
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Swimming if you can. Realize that every move you make counts. Upper body work while you heal. Try light weights while dancing sitting. Extra movements in the arms. You will strengthen at the same time. Good luck! Feel better soon.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    swimming or one of those bikes but for your arms still keeps you moving
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    It's already been said many times over . . but definitely swimming. I am a swimmer who goes to the pool 3 times per week and it's actually a rehab pool (part of a physical therapy center) and people from all walks of life swim, exercise, etc. there. There are folks in wheelchairs, people who walk with walkers, everything.

Try not to be self conscious and just try it, if you can. It has changed my life, physically and mentally. I was worried at first about others seeing me in a bathing suit . . but hey, I knew I could change how I looked if I stuck to it - and I have. Yes - I've been up and down along the way . . weight loss is like a roller coaster some days seriously . . but I have lost 57 lbs in the last year. :smile:

I chalk most of my weight loss up to swimming.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    33 months ago I was 560 lbs., home bound for over 2 years and unable to walk from my chair to the bathroom without sitting down in between. I have grade 3 osteoarthritis in both knee's, torn meniscus in both knee's and a torn ACL in my left knee. I started with a doctors script for aquatic therapy and began my weightloss chest deep water. The water displaced my weight and aloud me to exercise. When I started I could barely do 5 minutes but over time I did more and more. I lost over 170 lbs. in the pool over 16 months and then worked my way out of the pool and into Knee braces, pain pills, and injection therapy.. I lost another 133 lbs. between the pool and land based exercises like seated elliptical, recumbent bikes, UBE upper body bike, You have options just got to try some.. I would definitely think about water exercises for people with joint issues it is amazing... Good Luck...

That's amazing! well done you :flowerforyou: And this is a really helpful post for me as I was telling someone close to me about this site and counting calories and exercising etc and she says she can't do it, her knees are too bad. Now I have some suggestions for her x
  • PedroGirl
    Options
    WOW!! Thanks SO much for all the wonderful suggestions...given with genuine concern. You've all been very helpful!

I didnt go into much detail about my physical limitations, but I have rotator cuff problems in both my shoulders as well as the feet problems. (I was very depressed about it last year, but I'm moving on.) I recently finished several weeks of physical therapy on my right arm, and cortisone injection, but was allergic to the cortisone. :frown: I do stretching with my arms, but that's all I can do. My dr said "no weights" or I'll be back in PT. I'm determined to MOVE, so I also do some leg exercises in the morning while in bed. I've become very creative with my moving. :wink:

I'm hearing everyone talk about swimming, but I have major problems with my arms if I go in the pool. I've discovered that as long as I'm moving, a little is better than none. What's been SO hard for me, is that I've always been so active, but now...oh, well. Little by little, step by step.

This site is very helpful!! THANKS AGAIN for all the helpful suggestions...and for caring. Blessings.... :heart: