What to do with cabbage?

Options
slkehl
slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
I have a half a head of cabbage left over from St. Paddy's day. Any ideas of what to do with it, other than simply boiling it? I've never cooked with it before the 17th

Replies

• wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    chop it up raw, toss it with some sliced mango, chopped red onion, cilantro or mint, and crushed peanuts. shake some rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar over it with a squeeze of lemon. you can also toss some fennel or apple in it for extra flavors and crunch. ad sesame seeds! thai-ish salad! serve with baked tofu, grilled shrimp, or chicken.
  • busybee225
    Options
    Chop it up and put it in a large heavy covered pot add a can of Rotel tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook til cabbage cooks down but is not completely limp . Enjoy!
  • JoCam127
    JoCam127 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Lightly fry some thinly sliced ( lean ofcourse ) short cut bacon in a pan & add finely sliced cabbage, it shrinks down quite a bit ;) Mmmmmmmmmmm :)
  • livs_mom
    livs_mom Posts: 37
    Options
    skinnytaste.com cabbage casserole!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Soup, jalapeno coleslaw, saute in butter and sprinkle with carraway.... I ate so much cabbage left over from St. Pats that I am pretty sick of it right now... = )
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I've got this indian stir fry recipe:

Shred the head of cabbage. Toast about 1 tablespoon of whole mustard seeds with about a tablespoon of oil in a skillet on medium-low heat until you hear a popping noise. Add the cabbage, a little bit of water, cayenne pepper (I like hot so I add a lot) and add about a 1/2 teaspoon of tumeric. Mix and turn up the heat to medium high. You can cover it so it cooks faster, but I am usually lazy. It will be soft and crunchy in about 3-5 minutes. Serve with a squeeze of lemon or lime.

I'll eat half a head of cabbage on my own this way. :D

Great with grilled or roasted meat.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    We tend to boil (or fry, but boiling is healthier and therefore more frequent) it and then put some cayenne pepper on top.
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    In Mexico we just chop it up and add lime juice, salt and pepper, its pretty common to put this in a taco stead of lettuce like they use in the states. Or you could boil it and sprinkle a bit of vinegar on it, I learned that from my Canadian boyfriend. I love cabbage, its so cheap and good!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I like to slice it really thin and stringy and steam it. Then I eat spaghetti sauce on it. :)

It's also good added to soups. *LOVE* soup, so it's an easy add for me.
  • ahm6br
    ahm6br Posts: 1
    Options
    this is not healthy... but fry it up in a bit of butter or olive oil. add some meat for flavor if you'd like. you can also mix in other veggies to add nutrients. cabbage is so0o yummy this way...
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump...all of these ideas sound delish!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Wait until someone makes you angry and lob it at their head.

Oooor chop it up and stir fry it with some lean steak, broccoli, carrots, and brown rice :smile:
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just posted a recipe under recipes

Cabbage - Cole Slaw Mix, Plain, 2 cups 27 7 0 1
    Cranberries - Dried, sweetened, 0.33 cup 123 33 1 0
    Diamond of California - Chopped Walnuts, 1/2 cup (30 g) 400 8 40 10
    Fruit - Apple, Red Delicious, Medium, 1 medium apple (242g / 8 oz) 80 34 0 1
    Chobani - Greek Non-Fat Plain, 4 ounces 67 5 0 12
    Best Foods Light Mayo - Light Mayonnaise, 4 tbsp 140 4 14 0
    Swanson White Premium Chunk Chicken Breast In Water 98% Fat Free - Canned Chicken, 12.5 oz. 292 4 4 54

salt and pepper to taste plus juice of a small lemon
    serve with two whole wheat crackers or in pita or on bed of greens
    makes 4 servings
  • Tanya_IP
    Tanya_IP Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I like to slice it really thin and stringy and steam it. Then I eat spaghetti sauce on it. :)

It's also good added to soups. *LOVE* soup, so it's an easy add for me.
    Great Idea! Sounds yummy!
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Put in minestrone soup - yum!
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Put a little butter in a pan with chopped cabbage...add about 1/2 cup of water, Mrs. Dash (or your choice of seasoning) and chicken bouillon cube and let it simmer until cooked down...my favorite way to eat cabbage!
  • jlcygan
    jlcygan Posts: 1
    Options
    saute in Bragg's Liquid Aminos with garlic - add shredded lean beef if desired
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I use it to replace noodles in stir fry. I also add it to salads. Or make coleslaw.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    chop it up raw, toss it with some sliced mango, chopped red onion, cilantro or mint, and crushed peanuts. shake some rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar over it with a squeeze of lemon. you can also toss some fennel or apple in it for extra flavors and crunch. ad sesame seeds! thai-ish salad! serve with baked tofu, grilled shrimp, or chicken.

Wow, this sounds amazing!!

Thanks everyone for the ideas! That cabbage will be gone in no time!
  • th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options

OMG This sounds delious!!!! so making it tommorow. I have everything!!!! THANKS!!!!