road runner

Options
I have been having a hard time getting to the gym, so I was thinking of getting back on the road and jogging in the mornings. I stopped before because I kinda, sorta killed my shins. I've heard that running on the road is not good for your knees, joints etc but i see people everywhere doing it!

So my real question is, is it good or bad? And if you are a road runner, do you do it on the road or the sidewalk. (there are no forest paths near me.)

And on a side, slightly superficial note, what do you wear?

Thanks!

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I am a new "runner" (i.e. jogger with long walks to catch my breath :wink: ).
    I run on the treadmill, the road, the sidewalk, and bike trails.
    I've started noticing a distinct ache in my left knee. Changed shoes. Ache still there.
    Never notice it more or less depending on where I've run. *shrug*
    I also have developed shin splints when running on an incline. Declines are fine.

And I run in a string bikini and stilletos.
    (Okay, I thought that was funny! :laugh: )
  • AnonymousAnne
    Options
    yes! shin splints! thats what they are called.
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I love to run outdoors, I even do it when its winter and below freezing outside. The only problem you really have with running is if you over do it. Just take things nice and easy and enjoy the view. You really shouldnt run everyday because like you said its not good on your knees. But two or three times a week is really good for you. All the medical people I've ever talked to about running told me not to go for speed but to take it nice and slow and try to run for an hour. After about 30 minutes of running your body will stop burning your carb stores and start matabolizing your fat as fuel.
  • agarlits
    Options
    I wrestled in highschool and shin splints really hit our team hard because of the amount of running we did everyday. We found that if you take the time to run backwards ( i know sounds dumb, but it works! ) for about 10 minutes after each run it prevents the shin splints. If they get really bad though it'd be a good idea to get a deep tissue massage otherwise you could do some serious damage to your legs, knees, ect...
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    if it's been a while since you ran, start slow. There is a program in Family Circle magazine that i started in March and now i can run five minutes at a time, walk one minute and do that four or five times. I run on a treadmill most of the time because i'm still working pace. If I run on the track or outside i go too fast and get tired really quickly. So I'm still working on that.
  • AnonymousAnne
    Options
    ok, so i think i'll prep myself at the gym tom and run on the tred, see where i'm at. then go for a run the day after.

i shouldn't garner any stares running backward on a treadmill at the gym right?
  • agarlits
    Options
    Lol, some might stare. But at the end of the day they'll be the one with the shin splints!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I am a road runner. I have a treadmill but I would much rather be outside! I run on the road = pavement.

I have aches and pains but I figure I’m not 16 anymore so it comes a long with the territory. I did “hurt” my knee a couple of weeks ago (I use the term hurt loosely, because I didn’t really do anything to it, it was just hurting). I did the R.I.C.E. method for treating it.

I run in running shorts and a cut-off t-shirt in the summer. Cooler weather, I wear underarmor tights under my shorts and tshirt or light sweats.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Follow everyone's advice already posted! They are so knowledgeable. A good rule of thumb is to not increase your total weekly distance by more than 10% each week. Also, if you decide to stick with it, get fitted at a running store with proper shoes!
    I run in shorts and a t-shirt which must occasionally be removed much to the dismay of passers by~ :noway: I'm sure! but it's SC and it gets hot! (I wear a sports bra...not topless!:happy: )

Becky
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I love to run outdoors, I even do it when its winter and below freezing outside. The only problem you really have with running is if you over do it. Just take things nice and easy and enjoy the view. You really shouldnt run everyday because like you said its not good on your knees. But two or three times a week is really good for you. All the medical people I've ever talked to about running told me not to go for speed but to take it nice and slow and try to run for an hour. After about 30 minutes of running your body will stop burning your carb stores and start matabolizing your fat as fuel.

Wow, thanks for the info! I had no idea about the fat stores. Im also going to try your 10 min walk backward, too. It'll just give me another excuse to stay outside longer.

I only run outside since my treadmill is a worthless piece of junk but I've been walking outside for years. I absolutely love it and am amazed by the beauty of it every time I go out (I live in the mountains); I like all the interesting plants, animals and insects.

And you end up with a super great tan in the summer time that usually lasts me most of the winter. :laugh:

I think its worse for you than on a track or a treadmill, but it also works different muscles (the workout is different). No one can tell me that an incline on a treadmill (or the flat track) is the exact same as running up the side of a hill or mountain.

I wear shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt. Lol, Becky, I'm hoping to get to the point where I can run in a sports bra :laugh:
  • AnonymousAnne
    Options
    thanks all!
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner too and have been doing some reading. One thing I've come across over and over is that you will have more knee, ankle, and shin pain if you tend to land on your heels (plus it slows your momentum). Try to land more on your forefoot..not your toes but more flat footed or toward the ball of your foot. This will allow your arches to act as springs and cushion your steps.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I wrestled in highschool and shin splints really hit our team hard because of the amount of running we did everyday. We found that if you take the time to run backwards ( i know sounds dumb, but it works! ) for about 10 minutes after each run it prevents the shin splints. If they get really bad though it'd be a good idea to get a deep tissue massage otherwise you could do some serious damage to your legs, knees, ect...

That is the second time I've heard to run backwards to decrease shin splint pain. I might have to try it.
  • connie96
    connie96 Posts: 22
    Options
    Pavement is "softer" than concrete, so I always stick to the street rather than the sidewalks.

My very best advice is "get the right shoes for your feet".

When I first tried running several years ago I just put on my walking shoes and gave it a try. I had to ice my shins after every run. Then, I went to www.roadrunnersports.com and used their "shoe dog" to find the right shoes. No running pain since.
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    running outside just makes me feel better, more alive and part of nature. I vary it up, if i don't have much time i run on pavement(try to stay off sidewalks), if I have more time I either run or drive to the park and run off-road which is my preference. The other day I saw 19 deer at the park!! I had fun counting them, really takes your mind to another zone. :happy: I only run indoors if it is cold and rainy or icey.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Good advice!! I do both- run outdoors and also run on the treadmill. I prefer the outdoors though!!

Good running shoes that fit your feet properly are a MUST. Don't start out too fast. Walk if you need to. Don't run on consecutive days, every other day is great..

I wear dry-wick running gear- usually a tank and running shorts. The dry-wick material keeps you dry when you are sweating (yes, I sweat!!!). Target carries a cheaper Champion brand that is good or sporting goods stores carry the Nike, Reebok, Under Armour, etc.

Sign up for a local race, you'll meet great people and have something to train for! :bigsmile:

Happy running!