Strength training for women - weight/reps/frequency?

Options
I have just started going to a body pump class after a long break from resistance training. I absolutley love it and how hardcore it makes me feel. I'm only going to one class a week at the moment due to a branch of my gym being temporarily closed and working long hours.The branch nearest my workplace opens again in May, so I should be able to attend two classes a week.
I have read fairly widely about exercise and nutrition, but find putting it into practise for long enough to achieve decent results hard. I would really appreciate some advice from people that have actually done it themselves.

I was eating 1200-1300 net, as recommended by MFP and have lost 7 pounds, but after reading another thread on here I am going to up calories to 1400-1500 plus exercise calories as my BMR is 1432 according to
http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
when I enter the bare minimum of daily activity I do. I eat mostly healthy food now and have changed jobs, which has stopped the stress eating and not sleeping enough that led to most of the weight gain in the first place.

I am 5'2" and 140 pounds - hoping to lose about 20 pounds of fat, don't really care what the scales say at the end as long as the jelly belly is gone and I look toned. I am naturally fairly strong and my Tanita says I have a high muscle mass.

My aim is to lift twice, run twice and do yoga twice a week, although am not often managing all 6 days of training currently, as my routine got thrown when they closed the gym :mad: going to stop slacking though and get back on track.

My questions are:
1. Is 2 days of lifting enough, or should I up it to 3? (Yoga is also resistance training so current plan is technically 4 days)
2. The tracks in the pump class are about 5 mins long so I'm not lifting the heaviest weight possible.
Should I be including a day of lifting heavy with low reps?

Can anyone please advise?

Replies

• tgzerozone
    tgzerozone Posts: 160
    Options
    I would lift heavy with low reps every day.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    1. I would up it to 3.. and look into a full body / ST type program like stronglifts.. heavy compounds are your friend.

2. Try and stick to only heavy weights... low weights high reps is more endurance
  • addmorecloud
    addmorecloud Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • Steph62002
    Options
    I lift heavy weights (low reps) 3x a week. Once a week I lift lighter weights with more reps for endurance.
  • Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I also lift heavy 3x a week (Saturday, Monday, Wednesday) and go in the low rep range.

Overall: Low reps for strength (between 3-5), mid reps for hypertrophy (8-10) and high reps for endurance (12+).
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    1. I would up it to 3.. and look into a full body / ST type program like stronglifts.. heavy compounds are your friend.

2. Try and stick to only heavy weights... low weights high reps is more endurance

this.

i think 2-3 days a week on a full body routine would do well.