Regarding Protein Smoothies

Options
itsjustdawn
itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
This is probably a stupid question, but is it a bad thing to replace meals with protein shakes if they have protein, fiber, fruit, and even a green veggie mixed in? Sometimes I just really don't feel like cooking (ok, most of the time). But I think I get as much protein out of my protein powder as I do in 4oz of chicken...

Replies

• itsjustdawn
    Options
    Either it was too stupid, or...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    nope i do it 3-4 times a week, but i could see myself doing it for as much as once a day.

i mainly do it for breakfast when i'm really hungry and can't be bothered making eggs, but i've also done it for dinner for the exact same reasons.

in fact last night i have a strawberry banana choco protein smoothie and a side salad for dinner
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I replace meals with shakes.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    You really should aim for whole foods. So if the protein shake is say...greek yogurt with fruit & veg blended in, go for it.
    If it's just whey/casein/etc I'd guess you should limit it.

It's a question of good/better/best
    Best being whole foods.
    Good being the protein shake.
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake every morning since it fills me up for 4 hours :D I've been doing it for at least 6 months with no plans of stopping. It's not lazy. Protein shakes are easy and good for u :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it provided that it doesn't prevent you from getting in adequate nutrients through lack of eating whole foods.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I also vote for it being a good substitute. I never drink protein shake that are just 'protein powder and milk/water', mine always have 4-5 ingredients to make up the carbs/fat/protein aspect of it, and usually a good handful or two of spinach. I'd rather eat some fruit and greek yogurt blended in a shake than just in a bowl.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time - it's just easier, haha. Just make sure that you're still meeting your macro requirements and it's no problem.
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    Oh the lazy thing is me not wanting to cook lol. My protein smoothies have a bit of everything - protein, fiber, fruit, veggie :-) And I eat plenty of that throughout the day as well. But sometimes that just sounds better than chicken and a veggie or whatever it is I don't feel like cooking ;-)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    You totally just reminded me I have frozen berries. Thanks!
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I agree with above! When I make a shake, I use 8oz almond milk, 1 scoop of my choice of protein powder (vegan type because I have dairy/egg allergy), coconut milk yogurt, and then a couple types of fruits (fresh or frozen). I haven't been brave enough to try veggies in the shake yet, though! :tongue: I have a protein smoothie/shake at least 5-6 days a week - delish!
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I drink them nearly everyday lately. Whey powder, berries, flax seed and enough water to blend it. Keeps me full for hours!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I agree with above! When I make a shake, I use 8oz almond milk, 1 scoop of my choice of protein powder (vegan type because I have dairy/egg allergy), coconut milk yogurt, and then a couple types of fruits (fresh or frozen). I haven't been brave enough to try veggies in the shake yet, though! :tongue: I have a protein smoothie/shake at least 5-6 days a week - delish!
    believe it or not cucumbers (make sure to peel first) and baby spinach go nicely with berries, vanilla protein powder and what every liquid you use (i do almond milk and sometimes coconut). i only have a blender so those are the only vegetables i trust my blender to be able to handle.
  • millikenhomeschool
    Options
    I have a protein shake most mornings. I always add frozen fruit. But, now I think I'm going to try the cucumber and spinach with it. Well, maybe I'll start with the cuke and add the spinach another day!