sodium weight/bloat how long to go away?

Options
MJ7910
MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
so in everyone's experience, if you go over sodium (i did by like 1000 mg on wednesday) how long does it take for the bloat to go away from it? i feel really awful and i'm sure the scale has gone up but i'm not checking

Replies

• MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I find it depends what I eat. When I sh#t the sodium bed I drink mucho water for all the next day and steam some asparagus to eat. It seems to work great!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Sodium is one of my big problems. It usually takes a couple of days. Drink lots of water.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I tend to hold onto it for two days. I.E. - If I go over x amount of sodium on Wednesday I'll see it on the scale on Thursday but it's generally gone by Friday. I always drink a ton of water, always have, so I'm sure that helps flush things through too.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I don't think there's a set answer...I just increase my water intake and eventually it all flushes out. Also, it comes out when I sweat...LOTS! :)
  • camilleesqueda
    Options
    LOL I wonder how much of my weight is because of sodium. I never go over but I usually hit really close. Hmm.
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sodium is my #1 enemy!! It takes a couple of days, drink lots of water:drinker:
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you do after that horrible sodium day. It can take up to two or four days..it just all depends on what you eat and your water intake.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    if i go way over, i know the salt with stay with me for three days... BUT if i drink lemon in my water the following day.. my body bounces back to normal after a day. the lemon acts as a diuretic and helps to get the sodium moving out of your system..

*i can tell it sticks with me for three days by watching the chubbiness of my fingers.. the lemon water really works!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I ate a shedload last weekend as in all of Saturday, Sunday and it continued into Monday- I didn't even count calories as I was on hen weekend, loads of Italian food, bread, pasta, dips, alcohol, sodium galore!

I felt so bloated and according to the scales I had gained a few lbs- can't lie, even tho I am maintaining I went into panic mode!

All I did for the next couple of days was eat cleanly (plenty of salad & veg) but still fairly normally plus drank enough water - which I craved anyway from the thirst from all the carbs/salt.

The weight was gone within 3 days.

That just proves to me that as long as you can get back on track afterwards straight away it's really not worth the stress- that's a lesson I have had to learn myself:smile:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    make sure your potassium is in balance with your sodium.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    can someone pls tell me if all sodium is bad, just looked at turkey breast for my dinner tonight and its really high???
    and my fish, which i eat a lot is quite high, never add salt to anything or cook with it.
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

*i can tell it sticks with me for three days by watching the chubbiness of my fingers.. the lemon water really works!

ha! Yes my rings either fit or slide off depending on my sodium.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much over I go, it will usually take 2 to 3 days. Have comfort in the fact that it's not 'REAL" weight gain, but gain due to water retention. 1000 mg over will probably take you two days to flush out.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    For me, sodium is really tricky. It affects me more now that I am older than it did when I was young. If I eat salty stuff now, I usually retain water every time. Years ago, I would only be affected if I ate ham, lunch meat, or something else that had sodium nitrites (usually found in cured meats) in it. Like having ham for dinner where a person eats more. It seems like drinking lots of water helps wash out the retained water more quickly than if you don't drink lots of water.
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I ate a shedload last weekend as in all of Saturday, Sunday and it continued into Monday- I didn't even count calories as I was on hen weekend, loads of Italian food, bread, pasta, dips, alcohol, sodium galore!

I felt so bloated and according to the scales I had gained a few lbs- can't lie, even tho I am maintaining I went into panic mode!

All I did for the next couple of days was eat cleanly (plenty of salad & veg) but still fairly normally plus drank enough water - which I craved anyway from the thirst from all the carbs/salt.

The weight was gone within 3 days.

That just proves to me that as long as you can get back on track afterwards straight away it's really not worth the stress- that's a lesson I have had to learn myself:smile:

This happens to me but it takes up to a week to get it out of my system...i'm still waiting on it to flush out from last weekend !
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Potassium rich foods can mitigate and speed up the process, green tea helps a bunch, and if course water. Depends on a lot of factors, workout, digestion speed, water in, your personal body :). Be patient it will go. I am on 1500 and nowadays can usually keep it under 1000 so it can be done an I have been astounded how much less joint pain I have nowadays.
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    can someone pls tell me if all sodium is bad, just looked at turkey breast for my dinner tonight and its really high???
    and my fish, which i eat a lot is quite high, never add salt to anything or cook with it.

Not all sodium is bad, you are supposed to consume a small amount. When you set the macro nutrients you can see the sodium intake. It shouldn't go over x amount, but I almost always do and I can tell by how much like someone else said, by the size of my fingers.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

When your body retains water, it is in your blood. This increased volume flowing through your veins/arteries causes more pressure in them, resulting in possible damage over time. Then after years and years of this, the veins/arteries become weakened which could lead to strokes and other problems. That is a very simplified version, but the gist is there.

Edit: For normal healthy person, MFP's suggestion is about right. One needs to watch processed foods though, because even one frozen entree can push your daily sodium through the roof! Mostly, if you do your own cooking and avoid processed meats, you probably won't have a problem staying within the limits.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Having a banana really helps me get rid of bloat - full of potassium and fibre.