Tough choice

Ok, I've been to the gym for 36 straight days (sometimes twice a day) not to mention playing Wii Sports Boxing and The Biggest Loser. This morning I'm sore as all hell (worse than usual) my quads and shoulders especially. Climbing stairs this morning is just brutal.

The thought of taking a day off from the gym to recuperate has crossed my mind. However, my warrior spirit is telling me to suck it up and quit being a wuss. I feel guilty just thinking about taking a day off from the gym, like I'm cheating myself or something. Trying to think should I do something lighter to compensate. Anybody been through this before?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Rest is just as important. Even if you think you need to exercise 7 days a week, one or two of those days should be easy, like walking or yoga.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Take the day off! Your body needs time to rebuild those muscles you are shredding at the gym. If you feel you need to exercise, do something "light" like walking.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Rest is when muscle builds. You want to maintain muscle while losing fat, right? Take a day off a week. It can be active rest like walking if you can't stay still!
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 615 Member
    I agree with everyone else. Your body needs the rest. Stay with a calorie deficit and don't worry. Your body will thank you.
  • Agree with everyone else. Your body needs rest and you will probably see better results that way. 36 days in a row isn't a good idea. You should be resting at least 1 day per week.
  • bmwx5melissa
    bmwx5melissa Posts: 3 Member
    Keep up the great work! But do rest! Walking is awesome too!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    In agreement with all - rest is also very, very important. The body needs recovery time.

I go 6 days a week (sometimes twice per day) and day 7 is rest day. I will sometimes do an hour of stretching or go for a walk, but no "working out."
  • BekkiC21
    BekkiC21 Posts: 8
    If you really don't want to take a day off, go to the gym and do a recovery session. Jump on a reclining bike for about 20 minutes on a really low level, then find a recovery roller so you can self massage. It hurts like hell to begin with, but the feeling afterwards is amazing. Will work especially well for your quads
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Your body could really use some time to recuperate. You should probably taste at least one day a week off, actually.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Your body could really use some time to recuperate. You should probably taste at least one day a week off, actually.

*take. I'm really hungry. =(
  • Rosiered2
    Rosiered2 Posts: 87 Member
    This may help you---I started working out an hour in the morning and an hour at lunch....the lunch workout was supposed to be a bonus but quickly became mandatory in my mind......turned in to a "rule"......I came up with a new rule....If I "NEED" something more than the exercise then I substitute it. For example, I was up 3 nights late with a sick child, on the 3rd night, I KNEW I needed some extra sleep, I was getting truly worn down. I deliberately set my alarm 1 hour later, knowing I would not be able to do my workout. I wasn't hitting the snooze, I wasn't cheating, I wasn't "sleeping in", I was making a conscious choice to give my body what it needed MORE with an extra hour sleep. Your body NEEDS some time off, or you may become sick or overwhelmed. Pick which workout that you are going to give up and then substitute something you NEED during that time. It could be sleep, a slow enjoyable walk through a park (mental health), it could be a night out with friends (keeping your calories within your guidelines), etc. It could be 1 hour watching a funny tv show if you NEED some down time. If we become too rigid and start giving ourselves rules that cannot be adjusted, we set ourselves up for failure. I still do my 2 times a day workouts but very occasionally I PLAN to substitute what I need for either one or both of those workouts. AND I ALWAYS take one day off on the weekend, I spend the time with my family, sometimes we take a walk but my goal isn't the exercise, its the time with them. Maybe re-evaluate what your "rules" are and put a little bit of flexibility in to it. Good luck--try to enjoy your journey and give yourself a LITTLE slack!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Take it easy. If you're really hurting, you can't keep up that pace. Just light walking today! I'm a nut like you, do most of that too! I work out every morning to some extent, and most evenings too! But once in a while I need an easy day where I do the bare minimum my exercise addiction will allow!
  • Jnt1979
    Jnt1979 Posts: 80 Member
    I agree...If you feel that sore you need a break! Just go and walk for a while on the treadmill....still burning calories while giving yourself a break.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Oh yes, I have. Just about every time I stop exercising, put on weight, and then start back. It bothers me to take a day off, even if it is good for me.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Take the day, your body will thank you for it.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Have you considered going swimming instead?
  • KenDubya74
    KenDubya74 Posts: 196 Member
    Ok, you guys have convinced to tell my warrior spirit to pipe down for the day. It's a beautiful day outside, so I'm going to take a nice, slow walk at the park after work. Thanks everyone for the advice.
  • CHRISTCENTERED
    CHRISTCENTERED Posts: 33 Member
    In agreeance with everyone else....that's true what Rosiered2 states...if you don't give your body a rest in between sessions, your body will become over whelmed, and guess what your body shuts itself down you become ill.That's a known fact.
  • Rosiered2
    Rosiered2 Posts: 87 Member
    sorry, just one more post! (my kids would be laughing their heads off right now, I always have "just one more thing" to say!) This is what I DO NOT DO--I don't hit the snooze, I don't say I'm exercising in the morning or after work or at noon and then decide THEN that I don't want to----I don't put my workout clothes on, get a phone call to go to lunch, and cancel my workout--see what I mean??? I don't "cheat" on my exercising. HOWEVER, I PLAN to take time off........I plan for 1 day every weekend and that changes each weekend based on family plans........if I am exhausted one evening and haven't been getting my rest, I PLAN and reset my alarm to allow for the extra rest (NO HITTING SNOOZE BUTTONS), if I know that I have to be at work early, I DO AN EXTRA WORKOUT THE NIGHT BEFORE................PLAN YOUR TIME OFF AND IT ISN'T CHEATING!!! Then you can enjoy not working out......it is a completely different mindset............when you start cheating on your exercise, you fall off, feel guilty, and quit doing it.........when you plan your breaks and your next workout, you feel entirely different about it. Has changed everything for me! I just TRY TRY TRY to never cancel last minute on it.............PLAN the time off.....ok, the mom in me will quit lecturing........true weight loss involves changing our minds on issues just as much as changing our diets and exercises........gotta start THINKING about our life changes and then it can be a long lasting forever kind of thing........:smile:
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,468 Member
    Rest'er up Buttercup