I think I'm going to sign up for a 5K run!

Options
sinisme
sinisme Posts: 148 Member
I just checked and there is going to be a 5K run/walk on the 30th here! I've never done one, but I've always wanted to! I think I'm going to sign up for it... and while I'm at it... I'm going to sign my husband up for it too!! :laugh: SUPRISE!!!!!! haha

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I am going to do one but not til October...it's a Race for the Cure so it has dual purpose for me - to say that I can do it and that I also survived Breast cancer....

Way to go!!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I just checked and there is going to be a 5K run/walk on the 30th here! I've never done one, but I've always wanted to! I think I'm going to sign up for it... and while I'm at it... I'm going to sign my husband up for it too!! :laugh: SUPRISE!!!!!! haha

Do it!! Organized runs are a lot of fun! :drinker:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Definitely do it! It is a lot of fun!
  • sinisme
    Options
    I'm just worried about coming in dead last! :laugh: but it'll be something to cross off my list!!! I'd love to do a Marathon!!! That would be AWESOME!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You won't be last, just keep training and you will do great! The first 5k I ever did I walked for most of it. ( It took almost an hour) Then I caught the bug and started training for the others--My only goal is that I want to be able to run for the whole thing. I am almost there. If I can do it anyone can!!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Have you been running already? If not, GO FOR IT and do the 5k, then maybe check out a running program like couch to 5k because it will gently ease your body into the idea of running for about 25 minutes non-stop.
    I took up running in the fall and I'll be running my first half marathon this October. I did my first 5k in March of this year and finished feeling such a HUGE sense of accomplishment. Decided to try a 10k 8 weeks later and by that time the bug had bitten me hard :laugh: I'm now planning on the Half in October, another Half in April then my first full marathon next October. I'm telling you this because despite being active and fit, I could never run. 30 seconds of running seemed like FOREVER. I did a 12km training run on Sunday with ease so if I can do this, anyone can!! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I ran my first 5K four years ago and it's been non-stop since then! :wink:

I am *training* my hubby to run his first 5K next month!! He's finally joining me in the running!

Good luck and join in on the runners check in here!

Jess
  • jamielbeck
    jamielbeck Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Go for it! :smile:
    I am going to sign up for one in October, Race for the Cure. Best of luck to you and lets us all know how you do!
  • PrettySedity
    Options
    Good Luck and Congrats!! I've never ran one, but do plan on doing one this year!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Go for it! :smile:
    I am going to sign up for one in October, Race for the Cure. Best of luck to you and lets us all know how you do!

Which one are you doing - mine's in Charlotte.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I'm just worried about coming in dead last! :laugh: but it'll be something to cross off my list!!! I'd love to do a Marathon!!! That would be AWESOME!

You won't be. And even if you are you're still doing better then the people sitting on their butts at home!! :drinker: :smokin:
  • sinisme
    Options

You won't be. And even if you are you're still doing better then the people sitting on their butts at home!! :drinker: :smokin:
    LMAO.. that is sooo true! Im excited!
  • sinisme
    Options
    Have you been running already? If not, GO FOR IT and do the 5k, then maybe check out a running program like couch to 5k because it will gently ease your body into the idea of running for about 25 minutes non-stop.
    I took up running in the fall and I'll be running my first half marathon this October. I did my first 5k in March of this year and finished feeling such a HUGE sense of accomplishment. Decided to try a 10k 8 weeks later and by that time the bug had bitten me hard :laugh: I'm now planning on the Half in October, another Half in April then my first full marathon next October. I'm telling you this because despite being active and fit, I could never run. 30 seconds of running seemed like FOREVER. I did a 12km training run on Sunday with ease so if I can do this, anyone can!! :bigsmile:

I've been jogging for a while .. I was doing 4 to 5 miles a day ... but I developed some shin splints and had to quit jogging because of them.. i started back up this month and have been able to do 2 miles non stop.. without wincing in pain! LOL
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Totally do it---the amount of motivation it gives you is totally worth it! Give it a try! So many people on here and have done it and were sucessful! Good luck!!