Lost 7 lbs since last Thursday by eating MORE!

Options

Replies

• tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! I've been netting 1200 calories for almost 10 months. I said I would do it until it wasn't working for me. Well it's no longer working for me : ) been stalled for 6 weeks. Upped my calories and added ST and praying I see results soon. Your post gives me hope that I will : )
  • shannon4health
    Options
    Wow, Thank you for posting this! I am struggling to lose and i think it is b/c I may not be getting enough calories. Do you always eat those allotted calories even when you are not hungry??

I had my weight loss goals set to 2 pounds for MFP on the profile and I am struggling to lose. I just listed it to 1 pound a week loss and praying it helps me. It upped my calories from 1640 to 2140....dudes that is a LOT of FOOD! Doesn't make sense to me.....but I am gonna give it a shot. I guess the reality check is that I must have been eating like 4,000 calories or more before......who knows. :):):)

My CW is 252
    Height is 5"11
    My goal weight is 165-170

I really want this to work for me. I have been feeling very defeated and been praying for some revelation to help me get the next 10 pounds OFF!! Looking into Turbo Jam:)
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Any small weight gain is only temporary after upping your calories. If you're one of the many who are eating 1200 daily you're basically starving yourself, even more so if you're not eating back exercise calories. Almost everyone on here should be aiming for AT LEAST 1600 + eating your exercise calories burned. It's so much healthier and you get to eat more food!
  • LilysMom28
    LilysMom28 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    how do you up your calories? I have been on MFP and lost 12 pounds and 5 inches but thats it then I have gained 3 pounds back i am stuck

i brought my weight loss down to .5lbs a week instead of 2lbs a week and i was able to get more calories a day.
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    OK, I am finding this hard to understand... :noway:

I did the calculations that Helloitsdan's kindly posted, My BMR is 1553 my TDEE is 1864 now I usually only eat 1300 cals a day but burn 500-700 a day every day in exercise.

I have still dropped weight, eat all the right things my Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium are always under my Fiber is always above, I drink 10-14 glasses of water a day my net calories are never above 1000 so are you saying that I am starving my body??
    ( sorry but a doctor once told me that fat people didn't walk out of Belsen concentration camp fat, this was shortly after I'd had my tsecond child, so i can't get my head around what I should and shouldn't be doing....) can someone please explain what net calories I really need to be eating...

Many many thanks in advance:drinker:
    Alli
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OK, I am finding this hard to understand... :noway:

I did the calculations that Helloitsdan's kindly posted, My BMR is 1553 my TDEE is 1864 now I usually only eat 1300 cals a day but burn 500-700 a day every day in exercise.

I have still dropped weight, eat all the right things my Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium are always under my Fiber is always above, I drink 10-14 glasses of water a day my net calories are never above 1000 so are you saying that I am starving my body??
    ( sorry but a doctor once told me that fat people didn't walk out of Belsen concentration camp fat, this was shortly after I'd had my tsecond child, so i can't get my head around what I should and shouldn't be doing....) can someone please explain what net calories I really need to be eating...
    Many many thanks in advance:drinker:
    Alli

You should be eating about 1500 plus eating most of your exercise calories back
  • Cupcake1015
    Cupcake1015 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MsJenny813
    Options
    I also upped my calories last week after reading so much on here about it and running my numbers. This week after upping, I lost 8.6 lbs! I calculated my TDEE with no exercise and then ate back most or all of my activity. I know this week was a lot of water weight or what not and that's not going to be realistic every week. But I was losing & gaining the same 3-4 lbs for about 2 months, so I'm totally on board with eating more calories...lol. I'm completely satisfied and actually have energy. At first it was a little hard to figure out how to eat so many calories (2100), but now I use REAL olive oil on my omelets instead of PAM. And guess what, I use real eggs instead of egg beaters, or egg whites! :wink: My body is thanking me too!

PS: I have 100+ to lose and want to make sure I do it healthy this time!
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I am SO glad you posted this. I'm currently in an arguement (a nasty one at that) on another thread about this very subject. I've lost a lot of weight (as you can see) and I didn't do any of it by starving myself.

I realized on that other thread, that hungry people are very mean :)

^^^^^LMAO at that last comment... :laugh:
  • Myselvein2012
    Myselvein2012 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    I hear a lot of talk about upping calories, is that only really effective for people working out pretty intensely? or maybe people eating so little calories that they are starving. I would think it wouldn't help someone only doing a light amount of exercise. Like me, I am on 1700 calories (I am 5'10", so it's not all that much) and I am just doing 30 minutes of cardio 3x/week. I am guessing eating more calories would not have the same effect in this case, am I right?

Anyone?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of talk about upping calories, is that only really effective for people working out pretty intensely? or maybe people eating so little calories that they are starving. I would think it wouldn't help someone only doing a light amount of exercise. Like me, I am on 1700 calories (I am 5'10", so it's not all that much) and I am just doing 30 minutes of cardio 3x/week. I am guessing eating more calories would not have the same effect in this case, am I right?

Anyone?

It depends on how the 1700 number was derived. What was this based on/how was it calculated? I could be wrong but the 1700 calories seems likely to be before exercise. If so, eat you exercise calories back.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Ok so my BMR is 1345 and my TDEE is 1848, Can someone tell me how many calories i should be eating to lose weight?
  • Jnt1979
    Jnt1979 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Girl!! Eating more calories has CHANGED me! I was starving and exausted! Now I am satisfied and have more energy! I will NEVER go back to only 1200 calories a day! It's just not healthy! Keep up the GREAT work!!! you are an insperation!!! :)
  • mashe05
    mashe05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good Job! I know how hard it is to stay motivated, but that motivates me, so keep up the good work
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ok so my BMR is 1345 and my TDEE is 1848, Can someone tell me how many calories i should be eating to lose weight?

An easy way that i use is go to the site bellow. Get an estimate of your bodyfat,make a note of it .
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/body_fat_calculator.htm

Then go to this link here
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

1 Enter your stats
    2 Select the advanced option
    3 select the katch-MCcardle method, enter your bodyfat percentage that you noted previously, once done hit the calculate button.

Your maintenance calories are your TDEE same thing. Under maintenance will be a box called fat loss, that amount is what you will need to eat daily. Its a 20% deficit below your maintenance/TDEE. Also remember as your weight decreases you will need to re-enter your stats to compensate for your weight loss.
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

An easy way that i use is go to the site bellow. Get an estimate of your bodyfat,make a note of it .

1 Enter your stats
    3 select the katch-MCcardle method, enter your bodyfat percentage that you noted previously, once done hit the calculate button.

Your maintenance calories are your TDEE same thing. Under maintenance will be a box called fat loss, that amount is what you will need to eat daily. Its a 20% deficit below your maintenance/TDEE. Also remember as your weight decreases you will need to re-enter your stats to compensate for your weight loss.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, this makes more sense !! :))
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options

1 Enter your stats

THANK YOU SO MUCH, this makes more sense !! :))

Your welcome :-)
    I also forgot to mention enter your exercise level, and as you lose weight over time your bodyfat % estimate needs to be reassessed , but i guess you worked that out lol
  • punkrockprincess23
    punkrockprincess23 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I hope this works. ive currently been eating 1200 calories a day and trying to not eat back my exercise calories-some days i do. ;)

If I get this right:my TDEE # is 2260.
    My BMR # is 2013.
    So I SHOULD be eating between 2013-2260 calories a day?

EX. i choose to eat 2150 calories a day(between my 2 #'s),
    but i exercise and burn 430 calories today.
    Brings me back down to 1720 cals a day.
    I should eat back that 430 exercise cals?

PLS help me........

YES EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!! you should be eating a NET total of 2013-2260 per day. yes. yes. yes. yes.

*thank you SLEEPYTEXAN. 1200 seems soooo few and im always hungry.i hope eating more lol will help me lose some weight. thanks again
  • punkrockprincess23
    punkrockprincess23 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I also upped my calories last week after reading so much on here about it and running my numbers. This week after upping, I lost 8.6 lbs! I calculated my TDEE with no exercise and then ate back most or all of my activity. I know this week was a lot of water weight or what not and that's not going to be realistic every week. But I was losing & gaining the same 3-4 lbs for about 2 months, so I'm totally on board with eating more calories...lol. I'm completely satisfied and actually have energy. At first it was a little hard to figure out how to eat so many calories (2100), but now I use REAL olive oil on my omelets instead of PAM. And guess what, I use real eggs instead of egg beaters, or egg whites! :wink: My body is thanking me too!

PS: I have 100+ to lose and want to make sure I do it healthy this time!

ive been curious about this.so eating more really does help lose wight. Does anyone know how to change this on my profile. cuz my food meter says 1200 calories a day.thants too few. how can i change it to say 2000 a day and track my food?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!