Eating and exercise.

Options
I just joined a gym about a month ago and usually exercise an hour or so after lunch. Lately I'm going in the morning. I don't usually eat breakfast...just some coffee than a morning snack. So here is my question: Should I eat before I exercise, or wait until I get home and have my morning snack? Does it make any difference no matter what I do?

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It probably doesn't make a huge difference, but you might exercise better with a little bit of food in your system.
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach then come home and have a protein drink ought away. I then have breakfast with my kids about 2 hours later and seems to work good.
  • momma2teacher
    momma2teacher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So I was under the thought that it didn't matter...well yesterday I ate before I went for my 1.5 walk. I did 15 laps around the lake and wasn't nearly burned out...today did the same walk, but no breakfast and I was exhausted by lap 9. I am thinking it does matter...just my informal observation of my last two days.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the person.

I can't workout in the morning without eating something small first. If I don't eat before I can only exercise half as well.

Experiement and see what works best for you. What works for me and the other posters may not work for you.
  • zeikiya989
    Options
    I usually work out first thing in the morning and I have more energy and a better workout on an empty stomach. But like someone said above i would try both and see what works for you, don't think one is better than the other or anything. My boyfriend is total opposite he needs a huge breakfast before our workout.
  • rajhara7
    rajhara7 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have more energy if if I eat one slice of whole wheat bread, with a tablespoon of almond butter and a banana about 30 minutes before working out.