Crystal Light and other water flavorings side effects?

Options
Does anyone else get bad abdominal pain from drinking crystal light and other water flavorings? I have a hard time drinking water so I started using these. At first it was great. This past week I've noticed I've been having really bad stomach aches and I think it's from the aspartame. I've tried to kick the habit of drinking soda and I'm not a huge fan of water so now I'm kind of stuck.

Replies

• jessicae1aine
    Options
    I've never run into that with Crystal Light, but I have with other flavoring things including the generic Crystal Light. Maybe try to find one with different sweetener?
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    There is a new Crystal Light Pure that doesn't have aspartame in it. My husband uses it and he loves it!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Things like Diet Coke don't bother me, but Crystal Light tears up my stomach too. Have you tried Mio?
  • smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't get a stomach ache but I get terrible heart burn from it. Have you tried just putting a little lemon juice in your water? It gives a little bit of flavor and it is natual. Just a thought. :)
  • JVanDam77
    JVanDam77 Posts: 130
    Options
    I do. I also get bad heartburn. I use to be able to drink them all the time, but not anymore. I just learned to deal with the water, or drink tea. I like the lipton diet green tea.
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yep... I got gas and lots of it! lol! I had to stop drinking anything in my water and pretty much cut out aspartame and Splenda or my husband would be making me sleep in the spare room (hehe). I had a hard time drinking water too, hated it! At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it does get easier to drink water! I have no problem now with getting in at least 8 cups... I have one of those 1 litre metal water bottles that I drink from all day, and the mouth is big enough to put ice cubes in, which helps!

Have you tried sliced limes, lemons, mint leaves or cucumbers to flavor the water? As for a sweetener, look into Stevia...
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I try to dilute them down further. I usually do half water, half crystal light, when I have it. Sometimes the flavor is just too strong for me! And the aspartame really tastes awful.
  • kshast
    kshast Posts: 2
    Options
    I've never had any bad side effects from crystal light or anything, aside from some bad after-taste. But if it does bother you, i would suggest drinking water with natrual lemon or lime juice added. It gives it a bit of a taste with out any negative side effects (stomach pain). I've also drank carbonated water with fruit juice added. For me, it's a good fake out when you're trying to get away from soda.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    You can get aspartame poisoning if you consume it often.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I get horrific pains in my stomach whenever I drink. I try to force 10 cups a water at a time. I saw you should be drinking over a liter a day. I tend to drink a lot of anything with tea(hot and iced), crystal light, coffee, coke, mountain dew. I try not to drink diet soda, because I heard that is bad for you.
    I just kind of get though it. I saw just drink more, and it will train your body.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It is the artificial sweetener, especially for those who have intestinal problems. Try Wyler's Light. It does have aspartame but for some reason is better tolerated.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Sorbitol, an alcohol sugar, can cause bloating, pain and diarrhea and that is a proven fact. All alcohol sugars can. I can't even chew gum with sorbitol in it.
    The other sweeteners shouldn't but if you are sure that they bother you, use something else until you find what works for you
    Also, if you are eating healthy, lots of veggies, fruits and fiber,,, you will have some abdominal 'symptoms' until your body adjusts to the change. Trust me, I know, my husband fears walking in the same aisle with me in stores. lol Broccoli is my biggest trigger but I love it.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    The only issue I have is the lemonade or limeade...to much acid. But that could be me. I cant drink citrus fruit either. But all the other flavors no problems. Not fan of the tea ones. I need to brew my own and make my own Ice tea.
  • Doresoontobehealthy
    Doresoontobehealthy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Things like Diet Coke don't bother me, but Crystal Light tears up my stomach too. Have you tried Mio?

No, but I have a co-worker that loves it. I'll have to give that a try. Thank you!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    CAPS FOR A REASON!!! I KNOW WHAT IT IS! I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THIS AND FIGURED OUT WHAT IT IS, IT IS AN INGREDIENT CALLED MALTODEXTRIN ! IT IS IN SOME FLAVORS OF CRYSTAL LIGHT BUT NOT ALL, IT IS IN SOME FLAVORS OF MIO BUT NOT ALL. IT IS IN SUGAR FREE JELLO, IT IS IN TONS AND TONS OF THINGS THAT ARE SUGAR FREE. IT IS THE FIRST INGREDIENT IN SPLENDA! IT IS EVERYWHERE!
    ok caps off.. It has taken me over a year to figure out that this is what it is that give me really bad pains. and I bloat like crazy. it is so bad. It is in things you dont even think it will be in ( hello cheddar cheese flavor nut thins, but not regular nut thins) you have to start reading all ingredients and avoid that. trust me, you will be happy. as far as the crystal light, it is in raspberry ice, but not raspberry lemonade ... :noway:

hope this helps everyone! I wish someone would have told me this and have saved me alot of investigating and lots of pain over the last year. :)
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    for some reason, crystal light gives me a wretched headache. diet soda doesn't so i'm not sure if it's the aspartame or not, but i've learned my lesson. too bad, i love the raspberry lemonade!!
  • Doresoontobehealthy
    Doresoontobehealthy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    CAPS FOR A REASON!!! I KNOW WHAT IT IS! I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THIS AND FIGURED OUT WHAT IT IS, IT IS AN INGREDIENT CALLED MALTODEXTRIN ! IT IS IN SOME FLAVORS OF CRYSTAL LIGHT BUT NOT ALL, IT IS IN SOME FLAVORS OF MIO BUT NOT ALL. IT IS IN SUGAR FREE JELLO, IT IS IN TONS AND TONS OF THINGS THAT ARE SUGAR FREE. IT IS THE FIRST INGREDIENT IN SPLENDA! IT IS EVERYWHERE!
    ok caps off.. It has taken me over a year to figure out that this is what it is that give me really bad pains. and I bloat like crazy. it is so bad. It is in things you dont even think it will be in ( hello cheddar cheese flavor nut thins, but not regular nut thins) you have to start reading all ingredients and avoid that. trust me, you will be happy. as far as the crystal light, it is in raspberry ice, but not raspberry lemonade ... :noway:

hope this helps everyone! I wish someone would have told me this and have saved me alot of investigating and lots of pain over the last year. :)

Thank you so much. I just checked and the flavors I've been drinking recently do have Maltodextrin. I'll try one without and see if that helps. I do get stomach issues from the craziest things sometimes. I'll have to check the ingredients more often.
  • Tamishumate
    Options

Thank you so much. I just checked and the flavors I've been drinking recently do have Maltodextrin. I'll try one without and see if that helps. I do get stomach issues from the craziest things sometimes. I'll have to check the ingredients more often.

I hope this does it for you ! anything that starts with MAL is bad,, there is another thing, MALIC something that they through in there as well. avoid it all, it may help your tummy. :)
  • Tamishumate
    Options
    I get horrific pains in my stomach whenever I drink. I try to force 10 cups a water at a time. I saw you should be drinking over a liter a day. I tend to drink a lot of anything with tea(hot and iced), crystal light, coffee, coke, mountain dew. I try not to drink diet soda, because I heard that is bad for you.
    I just kind of get though it. I saw just drink more, and it will train your body.

I drink over a gallon a day.... :)
  • Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get bad abdominal pain from drinking crystal light and other water flavorings? I have a hard time drinking water so I started using these. At first it was great. This past week I've noticed I've been having really bad stomach aches and I think it's from the aspartame. I've tried to kick the habit of drinking soda and I'm not a huge fan of water so now I'm kind of stuck.

Just found this thread while searching online for Crystal Light and stomach problems. OMG I thought it was all in my head that Crystal Light was giving me stomach pain!! I usually drink Wyler's packets because they are cheaper but decided to try the CL packets....3 days of pain and it took me that long to figure out it was the Crystal Light.