What is your definition of "Eating Clean"?

Options
MassiveDelta
MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
All whole unprocessed foods?

Are steel cut oats? Acceptable?

Does cooking mean processed? Raw veggies only?

What is your definition?

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Eating as many fresh veggies and fruits as possible (rather than canned, sauced, cut up and sugar-fied, etc).
    Eating lean proteins - chicken, turkey, fish, tofu.
    Making foods at home rather than most procesed things.
    Choosing whole grains rather than processed white - whole wheat, bulgur, quinoa, wheat berries, etc.
    Limiting fast food options as much as possible.
    Eating fried foods on a rare occassion.
    Drinking water 95% of the time - eliminating caloric beverages with the exception of almond milk, nonfat milk.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Washing my food before i eat it. Also 5 second rule does not apply.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Lean meats. Fresh and steamed veggies (frozen are as good as fresh, nutrition-wise, BTW!). Unbleached, unprocessed foods. I avoid anything white. Steel cut oats are just fine! Cooking something doesn't mean processed, it means cooked! Avoid stuff with lots of preservatives, artificial sweeteners, stabilizers and such. I "eat clean" when I'm not having my silly, uberprocessed protein shakes my doctor has me on. LOL. But she wants me eating clean for dinner!
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    An easy way to remember if a food is clean is: "if man made it, don't eat it."
  • TZE731
    TZE731 Posts: 18
    Options
    Eating from tier 1 and 2 of Michi's Ladder.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eating unprocessed or minimally processed foods only.

I don't do it, but that's how I'd define it.

Yes, I would consider things like rice, steel cut oats, bulgar wheat, etc. as clean. I would not consider things like bread or wraps as clean.

I don't think cooking has anything to do with how clean something is.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My definition is pretty much what everyone else said.....whole ingredients, limited amounts of processed foods, limited fast food/restaurant food. I try to do it as much as possible, but of course it all depends on a person's time and resources.

A lot of people here will tell you that you don't need to eat clean to lose weight. That's very true. But, I try to eat clean for other reasons. I feel better, my hair is shinier. It forces me to eat more fruits and vegetables. I get more bang for my buck, calorie-wise. I can eat a lot of natural and home prepared foods for 1410 calories.....if I was eating more processed food, I would be much more limited.

It's a personal choice, and will not affect your ability to lose weight - that is determined by staying under your calorie goal and paying attention to your macros (although some people will say that doesn't matter either). You have to do what works for you.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    10 second rule.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Washing it before I eat it. :)
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options

I eat food off the floor all the time. I think it's helped my immunity get even stronger. /flexes
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Good response
    Lean meats. Fresh and steamed veggies (frozen are as good as fresh, nutrition-wise, BTW!). Unbleached, unprocessed foods. I avoid anything white. Steel cut oats are just fine! Cooking something doesn't mean processed, it means cooked! Avoid stuff with lots of preservatives, artificial sweeteners, stabilizers and such. I "eat clean" when I'm not having my silly, uberprocessed protein shakes my doctor has me on. LOL. But she wants me eating clean for dinner!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

I eat food off the floor all the time. I think it's helped my immunity get even stronger. /flexes
    Me too.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

Me too.

2 huskies in the house that like to lick each others butts so I decline eating food off the floor. Otherwise I would normally dust that ****er off and nom.

ETA: Hi Cory! :glasses:
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Yes, I would consider things like rice, steel cut oats, bulgar wheat, etc. as clean. I would not consider things like bread or wraps as clean.

So what makes bread not clean if I use all natural unprocessed ingredients why is baking bread make it not good? You contradicted yourself there.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

So what makes bread not clean if I use all natural unprocessed ingredients why is baking bread make it not good? You contradicted yourself there.

Because flour is processed and carbs are evil so bread is unclean
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options

Pretty sure it's going to be impossible to eat clean with this goal in mind. Almost all of the vegetables and animals used for food today are man-made. I suppose you could eat only game and wild vegetables.
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Pretty sure it's going to be impossible to eat clean with this goal in mind. Almost all of the vegetables and animals used for food today are man-made. I suppose you could eat only game and wild vegetables.

ok....I eat local fresh grass fed meet, local veggies n fresh wild caught fish, local fruits .....n obv no processed food
  • SparklesPlenty
    SparklesPlenty Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I think this also makes it so I can't cook anything cause then it would be "man" made. :tongue:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Sigh...what a tired old topic....

banging_head.gif