Gained weight! :( Time to go grocery shopping

Options
2»

Replies

• joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing about white breads, enriched pasta and white rice. They do make you feel full but also spike your insulin which when you come down really makes you hungry. I don't see how anyone gets by on 1200 calories especially if you’re active. If possible substitute the rice for brown rice, white bread for whole wheat, etc. Eat more protein and less carbs if you want to shed weight. It's amazing how much food you can eat if you eat for quality. Personally I stay away from anything pre-made in a box. That sounds extreme to some people but it’s how your great grandparents ate.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating 1200 cals a day?

That what I was recommended on this site. I spoke to my boyfriend who is a personal trainer and he didn't seem to think it was a problem. A lot of other people I know on here are consuming 1200 cal a day and loosing weight
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing about white breads, enriched pasta and white rice. They do make you feel full but also spike your insulin which when you come down really makes you hungry. I don't see how anyone gets by on 1200 calories especially if you’re active. If possible substitute the rice for brown rice, white bread for whole wheat, etc. Eat more protein and less carbs if you want to shed weight. It's amazing how much food you can eat if you eat for quality. Personally I stay away from anything pre-made in a box. That sounds extreme to some people but it’s how your great grandparents ate.

On the days that I work out, my calorie intake goes up to about 1500-1600 calories a day and on those days I have a hard time eating all of that.
  • newve
    newve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    My staples when I grocery shop:
    Chicken
    Tuna
    Shrimp
    Bacon
    Lean cuts of beef
    Lean ground beef
    Frozen spinach
    Fresh spinach
    Bibb lettuce
    Onions
    Tomatoes
    Cabbage
    Asparagus
    Avocados or Guacamole (Wholly Guacamole 100 cal packs are AWESOME!)
    Coconut Milk
    Almonds
    Cashews

I will eventually reincorporate moderate amounts of grains back into my diet. Probably will try to still stay on the minimally processed side for the most part after I reach my maintenance weight.