Does the 30 Day Shred count as "strength training"?

Options
I'm not asking how to log it as exercise, cause I always log it under circuit training or calisthenics and I have an HRM anyway so it doesn't matter. But I am wondering if it counts as strength training because many sources recommend three strength training sessions a week. In addition to a **** load of cardio, I have been trying to do the 30 day shred every day recently, using 5 lb weights and every other day I will use 8 lb weights (I tried to use 8 lb weights every time but it was too much). Should I be doing more strength training on top of this?

Replies

• xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I'm not asking how to log it as exercise, cause I always log it under circuit training or calisthenics and I have an HRM anyway so it doesn't matter. But I am wondering if it counts as strength training because many sources recommend three strength training sessions a week. In addition to a **** load of cardio, I have been trying to do the 30 day shred every day recently, using 5 lb weights and every other day I will use 8 lb weights (I tried to use 8 lb weights every time but it was too much). Should I be doing more strength training on top of this?
    I WAS TOLD THAT I SHOULD COUNT IT AS STRENGTH TRAINING. I DO 2 DAYS OF 30DS THEN 1DAY OF CARDIO... WELL THATS MY PLAN LOL
  • sarahnicole218
    Options
    I think that is plenty of strength training! The weights, the push-ups, the planks, the ab work...especially if you are doing it every day! Nice work! Congrats on tackling the challenge...it's a life changer!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    not rally it is more of a cardio (endurance) routine due to the number of reps. When you can keep going on reps you are working different muscle fibers then with traditional strength training. Essentially the light weights make you get a better cardio workout in less time as in increases the intensity.

If you do more that 15 or so reps, it is cardio based.
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I think you could count it as strength training but honestly it does have cardio as well. It is a pretty rounded workout.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting as heavy as you can so that you have to skip a day of doing those exercises, then it is strength training. If you can do it again the next day with no need for rest because you are using really light weights, then it is cardio. For most people, I recommend going with the heaviest weight they can do and barely complete the last couple of reps and then call it strength and do straight cardio the next day so that the muscles have the 48 hours of rest between strength sessions that they need for repair and growth.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting as heavy as you can so that you have to skip a day of doing those exercises, then it is strength training. If you can do it again the next day with no need for rest because you are using really light weights, then it is cardio. For most people, I recommend going with the heaviest weight they can do and barely complete the last couple of reps and then call it strength and do straight cardio the next day so that the muscles have the 48 hours of rest between strength sessions that they need for repair and growth.

^ I like this breakdown :drinker:
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    It's a combination of strengh and cardio - you do not need to lift 1000lbs three times and grunt like an animal to call it strengh...:bigsmile:
    i got stronger doing the 30d shred, started with 3 lbs and ended with 8/10lbs - that is not "NOT STRENGH"
    Have fun doing that!