Reverse Effects on Fat Burner pills?

Options
apparently my body didn't get the memo that when i supplement my diet and exercise routine with a fat burner pill (green tea) that it is supposed to LOOSE weight more rapidly, not add it back on! has anyone else had this experience?

backstory on me: i've been doing the jillian michaels 30 day shred, so as a result i am doing measurements every 10 days (march is round 2 for me, i lost inches in february and was on the track for continued loss in march, until i started in with the supplements.) i noticed a slight gain in my measurements at my waist & hips at my measure-in 10 days ago, but chalked it up to female-related bloating. i did my next set of measurements last night, nothing had changed, i chalked it up to being the evening after a full day of normal consumption. i measured my waist this morning, empty tummy, the no-change that i saw last night was the same (grr) - and when i stepped on the scale i have gained 6lbs. (from 168 to 174) ...

i've been taking the green tea supplements for a little over 2 weeks. several months ago, i had tried using a different fat burner supplement from the nutrition store (i forget which one) and it had the same results (gain instead of loss) ... it is clear to me now, that my body does not react properly to weight loss supplements - what i am wondering is if i am alone in this or if others have had similar experiences?

:grumble:

Replies

• m4wbag
    m4wbag Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    They only work in combination with a diet and exercise regime. It usually says that on the container.
    Perhaps you need to look at other aspects than just the supplement?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I've had that happen too. The problem I had was they caused either a blood sugar crash or a blood pressure drop that would then cause me to binge horribly. I'd be ravenous for the rest of the day! So, needless to say, they had the effect of causing weight gain. I avoid those pills like the plague anymore!
  • NubianSpirit
    NubianSpirit Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i am diligently exercising: jillian michaels 30ds and running (10k this weekend). i also try to do my best to stay under my calorie allowance and log everything i put in my mouth here so that i keep myself honest (and don't fool myself into thinking that i can have whatever it is that i want to have). i know that their aren't any shortcuts, but i was hoping that a little help to speed things along was available (i know they work for others, i was hoping they would work for me too).

@lizard, i'm glad to hear that i'm not alone. in thinking about the medication that they give kids with a.d.d. (apparently Ritalin is a derivative of speed) i figure there have got to be other "medications" out there that people have the opposite reaction to - for example, gaining weight on fat burner pills instead of loosing it.

so, lesson learned - no shortcuts for me. proper diet, exercise, that's all ... and i guess i'll get to my goal weight whenever i get there.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Save your money, the so-called "fat burning' pills are 21st century snake oil. Green tea has lots of very real health benefits, turning your body into a supercharged fat burning machine isn't on the list (and the same can be said for almost all of the supplements out there)
    so, lesson learned - no shortcuts for me. proper diet, exercise, that's all ... and i guess i'll get to my goal weight whenever i get there.

^^^^^^ +1