Readers: Any Fiction Reading Suggestions?

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you can read fantasy (without dragons and vampires), the Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan is well worth a read.

"Each year the magicians of Imardin gather together to purge the city streets of vagrants, urchins and miscreants. Masters of the disciplines of magic, they know that no one can oppose them. But their protective shield is not as impenetrable as they believe. Sonea, angry, frustrated and outraged by the treatment of her family and friends, hurls a stone at the shield, putting all her rage behind it. To the amazement of all who bear witness, the stone passes unhindered through the barrier and renders a magician unconscious. The guild's worst fear has been realised . . . There is an untrained magician loose on the streets. She must be found before her uncontrolled powers unleash forces that will destroy both her, and the city that is her home. "

Basic themes are rebellion, trust and deceit and the struggles of a class-based society.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I really love The Last Cannoli by Camille Cusumano
    The Lunatic or The Duppy by Anthony C Winkler
    sf/fantasy.. anything by patricia mckillip
  • cuddlyrunner
    cuddlyrunner Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bump cos they all sound good
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I like Michael Connelly
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Ah, you guys are all fabulous, thank you! Now I'm spoiled for choice :) x
  • rblauvelt7
    rblauvelt7 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for when I'm finished with Hunger Games. Can't wait to check out some of these books!

is this the same as 'Battle Royale'? - been thinking of getting them but it annoys me when somethings too similar to something else

I've never read Battle Royale, but from what I understand, the kids fighting/killing each other is the main plot of the whole book. Yes, in The Hunger Games teens are put in an arena and expected to kill each other. But there is a good amount leading up to that and then some after that. The killings are intense, but they are not the complete focus of the book. And there are the other two books in the series. While I don't want to give too much away, the arena plays a part in the second one, but it's definitely different.
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    nightshade by John Saul. It's a HOLY CRAP book i finished it at like 2 am and then COULD NOT go to sleep but its one you cant put down
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    Just started Hunger Games today and can't put it down
  • arctiknitter
    arctiknitter Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Loved the Hunger Game series.
    Anne Perry has a couple of series set in late 19 century England that are excellent.
  • jerber160
    Options
    then there's the theory that vacation reading is different... reading things you shoulda read before but didn't ... 3 musketeers, count of monte cristo, hunchback, gone with the wind....all terrific on the beach...
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I was just picking out something to read today during my commute, and realized I forgot Shirley Jackson! She wrote around the 1940s, very subtle and unsettling horror. She's best known for the Lottery, but any of her short stories are great, as is We Have Always Lived in the Castle and the Haunting of Hill House. She also wrote two autobiographies about her (and her husband's) experiences raising their three children in 1930s/1940s-ish Vermont, called Life Among the Savages and Raising Demons. I call them autobiographies, but they are most definitely fictionalized. They are also incredibly funny - I really enjoy seeing an alternative perspective from Shirley Jackson, and they're great for anyone who has spent any amount of time around books, cats, or children.
  • nessafly
    nessafly Posts: 58
    Options
    I know I'm late for this one, everyones already read it.... The Help (reading now)

One of my favorites: Margaret Atwood: The Year Of The Flood series (3 books) great stories kinda apocalyptic-sci-fi
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for when I'm finished with Hunger Games. Can't wait to check out some of these books!

is this the same as 'Battle Royale'? - been thinking of getting them but it annoys me when somethings too similar to something else

I've never read Battle Royale, but from what I understand, the kids fighting/killing each other is the main plot of the whole book. Yes, in The Hunger Games teens are put in an arena and expected to kill each other. But there is a good amount leading up to that and then some after that. The killings are intense, but they are not the complete focus of the book. And there are the other two books in the series. While I don't want to give too much away, the arena plays a part in the second one, but it's definitely different.

thanks, will prob order it :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    then there's the theory that vacation reading is different... reading things you shoulda read before but didn't ... 3 musketeers, count of monte cristo, hunchback, gone with the wind....all terrific on the beach...

count of monte cristo....AMAZING
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    I just started reading fifty shades of grey...the kindle amazon sample though. I'm contemplating on buying the whole triology lol. Its a great read for women.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Similarly, Scandinavia has produced some wonderful crime authors: Steig Larsson, Henning Mankell, Lisa Marklund, Jo Nesbø

I'm currently reading The Boy in the Suitcase by by Lene Kaaberbøl, Agnete Friis. It takes place in Denmark. I have maybe 75 pages to go and it's REALLY good
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Bonk.
  • jerber160
    Options
    I'll say it again. The Last Cannoli. I would love more ethnic books like this... Italian, jamaican (island)....haven't done much irish but would like to. do any of you do caribbean fiction?
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!