Scale reading wrong

I usually weigh myself at home on an older but reliably consistent scale and it says I'm 175lbs. I went to the chiropractor today and their scale is saying I'm 180lbs. Since the chiropractors scale is a doctor office type I'm more inclined to go with them as the correct weight but it is becoming discouraging that I may actually be 5lbs heavier.

Should I just follow my at home scale like I have been and then when I get to my goal lose 5lbs extra and then buy a new scale? I don't know.

Replies

• TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Do you weigh yourself at the same time in the doctors office as you do at home? Do you weigh yourself in similar clothing? These items will have an affect on your weight.
  • Do you weigh yourself at the same time in the doctors office as you do at home? Do you weigh yourself in similar clothing? These items will have an affect on your weight.

Ah true...I didnt think about clothes, sneakers, and having eaten breakfast already.
    I normally weigh naked before breakfast. Maybe thats why?
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    I think the difference in time may be the reason. Did you test your scale at home with weights? You could start there and see if it's off. If not, it's most likely due to the difference in time (clothes on, after breakfast, ect.).

I would go off the one at your house though since that is what you have been tracking your progress based on (unless you go to the chiro often enough to keep checking on theirs).

Good luck!

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    I wouldn't bother with a new scale.

My old scale would sometimes be out by a couple of pounds, just stepping off, then back on. So, I bought a fancy, new scale, with body composition readings, and the ability to track multiple users.

Guess what. $100 down, and the new scale can vary up to 2lbs, as well.

That caused me to do some research. I learned that despite the accuracy claims of home scale manufacturers, they consider a 5lb variance perfectly acceptable.

I don't bother with the scale, anymore. I never did, and only started usng it regularly after I gained weight, and then tried to lose weight. I don't even have a goal weight, to be honest. Mostly I care how I feel, and then (grudgingly) how I look to others (since so many people are so superficially judgemental).

I have found that due to diet and other factors, my weight will probably be 2-3lbs heavier later in the day, than my first reading after my morning workout, naked, before I've had anything to eat or drink. That could explain part of your discrepancy, assuming you were wearing the same clothes, etc.

But, as I said, I've given up on the scale, if only to, every now and then, see if I've made any progress in that area. I'm focusing on how I feel, and how healthy I'm eating, while working towards the kinds of physical changes that will mnimize the negative judgement I receive from others.
  • WOW a 5lb variance is acceptable? That's nuts in my opinion but ok.
    Thanks for the insight.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Scales suck.

and I'm addicted to mine...................

IT'S A LOVE/HATE THING!!!

:love: :grumble: :love: :grumble: :love: :grumble: :love: :grumble:
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    I bet if you weigh yourself clothed after breakfast, it will be around five pounds more than naked before breakfast. That doesn't surprise me at all.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    I think you should just keep your home scale and keep weighing in on it. I am firm believer that if you keep weighing at the same time with the same clothes on or nothing you will get the best results with your weight loss.

When I was doing WW before I always weighed at home in the morning cause my meetings were at night. I kept a log of both weights and they did differ, as did my weight loss at times. But what I found tracking them both was my weight loss was VERY similar for the month.

So for me I don't care what the number on the scale reads, as long as it goes down. No one sees the number on the scale, what they see is my butt, hips, face and thighs shrinking!!! :smile:

In sure the difference at the doc's office was due to clothing, breakfast and time of day!! Don't let it get you down, your doing great. Keep it up!!