How do you handle birthdays and other celebrations? (cake an

Options
Natihilator
Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
I am going to a friends birthday, and was told that it is a "bake-off" so to bring a dessert, and the champagne and liquor will be flowing. I usually only consume alcohol now for special occasions like this (1-3 drinks), so I don't have a problem indulging a bit, but alcohol AND eating sweets together makes me nervous. I will do a Zumba class that morning and maybe some walking later on, but I don't want to derail everything by having a drink and few bites.

So how do you handle these situations and fit them into your lifestyle change? do you try and workout more before or after? save up your calories? Or just completely abstain from indulging?

Replies

• viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    for many people avoiding will lead to a binge. I think moderation is key. Pick the one dessert you would enjoy the most and have a piece. Try to make some up in exercise and other healthy choices during the day, but if you're a bit over, oh well. You could do a combo plate with a few small pieces of things if you want to try different desserts. Sometimes I'll just share a piece with DH. As for what you're going to bring, don't be afraid to bring something "healthier" there's lots of good recipes on here, and you'll be surprised with the positive response from friends/ family.
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Relax and enjoy! its not like its everyday, i always allow myself few vodkas and snacks while at a party - i don't worry bout logging it just work harder the following week. Have a good night xx
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,913 Member
    Options
    Stressing over one occation increases cortisol and inflammation within the body :devil: ....relax, it's a long compromising journey.
  • ashhills
    ashhills Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Eat something filling before you go, that way you won't be hungry. Then just take a few bites.
  • FancyChick305
    Options
    eat before you go and just have 1 slice.
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am with everyone else. I try to eat something filling before hand then have a small piece enough to enjoy but not eat half a cake etc.
    This is not everyday eating so enjoy those sweet things here and there.
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I sayyy.. LET THEM EAT CAKE!

But, seriously.. As someone before me said: Not every day is like this. Indulge a little, without going crazy. Get back on track the next day. It won't kill ya.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    1. Bring your own savory/healthy snack. (everyone will be happy to have a break from the cake)
    2. Setup a calorie budget for the event, and stay in it. Save a few calories by eating light earlier and planning in some extra workouts
    3. Drink your water. :) All day at the party
    4. Have a small piece of whatever strikers your fancy
    5. Alternate between cake and your healthy snack and water
    6. Have fun

(Oh and I agree about eating before so you don't show up starving and are forced to have cake for dinner. :D)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think a low-calorie but satisfying pre-party meal, a glass of champagne and a few slivers of the best-looking desserts would be my plan of action. A morning workout couldn't hurt, either.
  • namina13
    namina13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem staying away sweets, but alcohol can be a killer. Since I'm not married and I have no kids, at 28 most of my social engagements involve alcohol. I try to stick to wine because I know there are fewer carbs than beer but... it still adds up!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I think a low-calorie but satisfying pre-party meal, a glass of champagne and a few slivers of the best-looking desserts would be my plan of action. A morning workout couldn't hurt, either.

This will be my plan :smile: Hopefully no feelings will be hurt if I don't try ALL the desserts lol
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I try to save my calories and step up my workout.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Moderation.