Loss of circulation in feet when I exercise

Options
I have been using the Biggest Loser 30-Day Jump Start program from the book I purchased. I am on week 4 now. However, I am very concerned about my feet. After about 20-25 minutes, my feet (which already hurt a little) get more and more painful. At the same time I start feeling the "pins and needles" sensation mostly in my right foot that you get when your foot falls asleep.

Yesterday when I did 45 minutes of walking at a local walking path, I had to stop 3 times because it happened to both my feet and I could barely walk. I lifted one foot in the air and shook it and then did the same with the other. That seemed to alleviate it for a couple minutes and then it came back.

Because I had started feeling this a little in the first week, I went out and got brand new walking shoes from New Balance. I had a salesperson measure my feet and she asked me a few questions to help me choose the right shoe. I spend $114 on this shoes. They feel fine, but she did give me arch support inserts to put in the shoes because I don't have flat feet. Oh, and those cost $40. What I notice is that I can really feel them in there when I walk. Question is, could that be the same thing causing my pain? Or is it that I'm really overweight and no matter what kind of shoe I wear, it's going to hurt? Also, will continuing to walk with my feet like this lead to a health problem?

Does anyone have this problem or a suggestion on what I can do about this?

Replies

• fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Often times people make the mistake of not taking out the original insert that comes in the shoe before putting their new arch supports in. This can make your shoes too tight and cut off circulation causing the "pins and needles" feeling that you talked about. Make sure that the original shoe supports are removed.
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I say give the new shoes a shot without the arch support and see how they feel. If they dont feel good, see about exchanging the shoes for another kind.

New balances were comfy for me, but I cant live without my Asics. You can find different brands a Ross or TJ max to try for about $40 a pair and they are returnable as long as they are not worn outside.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I would go to your docter and get check out. It could be anything. From diabetics to poor circulations. I am having stents put in my legs for my circulation this Fiday. I am not trying to scare you but you need to get check out by your docter. It could very well be a minor problems.
    Caliecat
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If losening up the laces doesn't help than I would see a doctor. I used to get the pins and needles numb feeling when I ran, and my shoes were too tight. Pins and needles type numb is not usually worrisome for someone without other health issues. Numbness that is without feeling, like you can't feel anything touching your feet is a really serious ER visit!!

Take care
  • wattsam1
    wattsam1 Posts: 95
    Options
    Sometimes I get the pins and needles when I am on the elliptical just from my foot not actually moving for 30-40 minutes. I've heard other people mention that the same thing happens to them but you might want to run it by a doctor just in case. good luck :smile:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get the pins and needles when I am on the elliptical just from my foot not actually moving for 30-40 minutes. I've heard other people mention that the same thing happens to them but you might want to run it by a doctor just in case. good luck :smile:

I get the same thing on the elliptical, and a couple of other machines. One thing I notice, is if I'm leaning forward a bit and putting more weight on the balls of my feet, that's when I get it, or when it gets worse. Try focusing your weight into your heels. You can do this by wiggling or lifting your toes a bit as you use the elliptical. I'm not talking raising the toes of your shoes off the foot board, but just lifting your toes up inside your shoes. You'll be amazed how much of a difference it makes in the numbness!

Planetcity, perhaps that is the problem when you're walking. Do you notice yourself not placing your foot down squarely on the heel? Then roll through the toe? Or do you land flat, or even on the balls of your feet? Believe it or not, I've seen people walk that way, they kind of shuffle along on the balls of their feet, almost on their toes (generally guys for some reason, but I've also seen a couple of girls do it). Good luck to you... If nothing else, you could always try breaking your walk up into smaller increments over the course of a day.
  • planetcitygirl73
    planetcitygirl73 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    In answer to some questions above, I did take out the original inserts before putting the arch ones in, so that's not it. I have another walk tomorrow, so I am thinking I'll try using the originals then. If not, I thought the shoe's not too tight, but perhaps I'll loosen the laces a bit. I think my natural way of walking is more flat on my whole foot rather than heel rolling to toe. I try to consciously lead with my heel, but that doesn't always happen. It does seem to be that the numbness/pain happens towards the front part of my foot first.

I feel a bit disappointed if I have to break up the walk. It's such an accomplishment to me to be walking ever closer to an hour when just a month ago I rarely got in any exercise. But I'll think about it.

Thanks!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Because I had started feeling this a little in the first week, I went out and got brand new walking shoes from New Balance. I had a salesperson measure my feet and she asked me a few questions to help me choose the right shoe. I spend $114 on this shoes.

I paid a podiatrist 75 dollars to tell me to do exactly as you already did!!

new balance
    the $40 insole.

What kind of socks are you wearing? If they are too thick you could be cutting off blood circulation.
    I play with the strings a lot to get it just right, then I dont get that feeling.

You may want to talk to your doctor. Some low back issues cause pain/tingling in your feet. Sounds weird I know
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    In answer to some questions above, I did take out the original inserts before putting the arch ones in, so that's not it. I have another walk tomorrow, so I am thinking I'll try using the originals then. If not, I thought the shoe's not too tight, but perhaps I'll loosen the laces a bit. I think my natural way of walking is more flat on my whole foot rather than heel rolling to toe. I try to consciously lead with my heel, but that doesn't always happen. It does seem to be that the numbness/pain happens towards the front part of my foot first.

I feel a bit disappointed if I have to break up the walk. It's such an accomplishment to me to be walking ever closer to an hour when just a month ago I rarely got in any exercise. But I'll think about it.

Thanks!

If you have access to a treadmill, or even to your home floor then try walking barefoot. If the same thing happens, you should seriously talk to a doctor. If it doesn't happen, then it would appear that your footwear is the major issue.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I actully have this problem too.....I started walking in place for 15 mins before my workout.......to music....or I do the Leslie Sansome 15 min mile.....and when she starts the cooldown I do my workout. Seems to have helped with the circulation issues. This is all after I make sure my shoes are not too tight and that I am not wearing thick socks.....and I have stretched out.

Good Luck!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - and I have seen that when I either go backwards on the elliptical for awhile, or make sure to push down on my heels, it does stop my feet from going numb.

It takes awhile to break in shoes, so if you've never had this problem before, I would say it's the shoes.
  • planetcitygirl73
    Options
    Yeah I'm having the same problem with both old and new shoes. I wear thin socks as well. I do notice that I don't have the problem when I'm on the treadmill. Only off it. So sometimes I walk at the mall and other times in the neighborhood. The outdoor walking is the worst, but indoors at the mall starts creeping up on me the last 10 minutes. I wonder about different surfaces and how that affects the impact on my feet. Oh, and I don't really "warm up" unless you count that I go a little slower for the first 4-5 minutes of the walk.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I just posted about buying New Balance running shoes even though I can't run for more than a minute yet, but I experienced the same problem, often even on the stationary bike. I haven't tried out my new shoes yet but tried the walking shoes and they seemed to aggrivate my little toes (I had just came from the gym so I knew my feet were probably enlarged from the exertion) so I'm hoping the new ones won't. But obviously you are not alone, I use thin socks too - but often get blisters as a result. Curious to know how this works out for you!
  • planetcitygirl73
    Options
    I just posted about buying New Balance running shoes even though I can't run for more than a minute yet, but I experienced the same problem, often even on the stationary bike. I haven't tried out my new shoes yet but tried the walking shoes and they seemed to aggrivate my little toes (I had just came from the gym so I knew my feet were probably enlarged from the exertion) so I'm hoping the new ones won't. But obviously you are not alone, I use thin socks too - but often get blisters as a result. Curious to know how this works out for you!

It's good to know I'm not the only one. I'll let you know after tomorrow's and Friday's workouts if anything changes.
  • porka29
    Options

It's good to know I'm not the only one. I'll let you know after tomorrow's and Friday's workouts if anything changes.

Can't wait to hear planet - I will keep you up on how mine goes tomorrow and Friday too - that makes me keep a promise to work out both days!
  • planetcitygirl73
    Options
    Well I think that taking out the inserts and loosening up the laces helped a bit, but I still started feeling circulation issues about 30 minutes into the walk. Usually it takes 20-25 when I start feeling it, so I guess that's an improvement. But I still had to stop after 40 minutes. I took a 5 minute break and then did the rest. I really think walking outside on the concrete is a big part of it. I have walked a couple times before on the treadmill and haven't had that issue. So I'm starting to think I'll have to break the time up into two parts and do at least half of it on the treadmill, at least until I lose another 20 pounds. I've got a lot of weight that I'm putting on these two little feet of mine, and I think they're just protesting that it's too much to do all at one time.

On a positive note, I don't have my official "weigh day" until Saturday, but I weighed myself this morning and am half a pound away from hitting 30 pounds lost. Cross your fingers for me that it happens this week!
  • porka29
    Options
    Fingers crossed for ya!!!

My shoes worked out good today, although I did have one tied too tight and that was a bit annoying until I could change it. I think you are right about the concrete........................
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Well I think that taking out the inserts and loosening up the laces helped a bit, but I still started feeling circulation issues about 30 minutes into the walk. Usually it takes 20-25 when I start feeling it, so I guess that's an improvement. But I still had to stop after 40 minutes. I took a 5 minute break and then did the rest. I really think walking outside on the concrete is a big part of it. I have walked a couple times before on the treadmill and haven't had that issue. So I'm starting to think I'll have to break the time up into two parts and do at least half of it on the treadmill, at least until I lose another 20 pounds. I've got a lot of weight that I'm putting on these two little feet of mine, and I think they're just protesting that it's too much to do all at one time.

On a positive note, I don't have my official "weigh day" until Saturday, but I weighed myself this morning and am half a pound away from hitting 30 pounds lost. Cross your fingers for me that it happens this week!

I am so proud of you!:flowerforyou:
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Concrete is very unforgiving on your feet, as you can probably tell. I remember from a long time ago (probably something like 20+ years ago, when I used to run cross country in high school) being told by somebody that if I was going to go for a long run, I should try to do it on a natural surface (grass, dirt path, even a gravel road) as opposed to concrete. Believe it or not, a gravel road is much more forgiving than concrete! :noway:

The same info would be true about mall walking as well--malls are built on huge slabs of concrete. It's quite a bummer if that's what's causing your problem, since it may cut down on some of your options. However, you could look into seeing if there's a high school or college running track somewhere close by and see about walking on that. Tracks are specially designed (like treadmills) to have a bit of "give" so that they're not as hard on your feet (& the rest of your body, for that matter)!

I hope that this helps!
    -Deborah
  • planetcitygirl73
    Options
    Thanks for the well wishes. :blushing: I had lost 3 pound earlier in the week, but today the scale said I only lost half a pound, so I'm not at 30 pounds yet. I blame it on the salty foods I had last night. :grumble: Hopefully the scale will show that next week. In the meantime, I was able to walk for 50 minutes on the treadmill yesterday without a single issue with my feet, so I think that makes the difference. It's too bad though, because the treadmill gets boring quickly. I have nothing to look at, compared to outside or the mall. Oh well, I think I'll have to switch it up and do some days on the treadmill for comfort and other days outside for a more interesting walk with some discomfort.