How to eat at a buffet???????

Options
Hello I have been a member for over a year but just recently start to lose the weight. I don't about you but when going out with your friends or family I try at all costs to stay away from the buffet style ones. It seems no matter how hard I try I always overeat. If you would give suggestions or tips on how you eat a buffet I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!! :smile:

Replies

• mbarrette
    Options
    Depends if you know what is on the buffett but for example a chinese buffett so you can check the calories ahead of time and eat accordingly once you get there.
  • joe7880
    joe7880 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Of course avoiding the buffet is the best thing to do but otherwise, just resolve to only fill up one plate and look for things that aren't fried and have veggies in it. I had to travel for work and there was a breakfast buffet every morning so I decided to fill my plate once only and I only had some eggs, some bacon (2 slices) and a nice amount of fruit.
  • puppycloud
    Options
    In a couple of weeks I'm going to have a week stay at an all inclusive hotel, there will be buffet at every meal and free snack and sugary drinks between the meals.

I'm planning to browse the buffet first, help myself with small servings and really focus on not eating too much.

Prioritize veggies and fruit before meat and bread - i.e. eat after the food pyramid.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I start with a salad plate with lots of greens and light dressing on the side. Then I usually have grilled salmon or chicken with a hot veggie side. Then when people go up for dessert I make a small fruit plate. To make myself feel better I indulge in a glass of white wine.:wink:
  • GuitPicken61
    GuitPicken61 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is really good advice to our friend. I also support using one plate. I try to do 3/4 of the plate with healthy carbs--veggies (avoiding casseroles) and 1/4 for the protein source. At a buffet I personally love fried chicken and mashed potatoes. Neither are favorable choices for me but a fried chicken breast is between 200-300 calories. So, I'll have it. I can definitely master the buffet 3 months later. This is how it has happened.

Places like Outback have good choices. I can do the same at Logan's Steakhouse and Texas Roadhouse. I can choose better stuff as a rule by choosing baked sweet potato without any butter...or choosing 6-7 oz steaks...or sauteed mushroom and veggies. I'm proactive in ordering salads. I say, "I don't want croutons or cheese on top."

Good luck as you get going! This is absolutely possible. I would never have guessed I would not starve when I tried to lose weight.

The other comments about preparing snacks ahead of time...um...I frequently eat this as a snack: 1 lo-fat string cheese, 1/2 an apple or pear or 1/2 cup of grapes and 3 raw almonds. It quickly takes the places of candy bar hunger and it a very nutritious and portable snack. I make several to last 2 days or so. I always have one or two with me.
  • Paiche
    Paiche Posts: 92
    Options
    Chinese buffet: first, go for some soup. Egg drop soup is your best option calorie wise. Then fill one plate worth of food. Try to avoid things that are made in a this sweet sauce like honey chicken. Get plenty of veggies like broccoli. Beef and broccoli isn't too bad. Most have a fruit table so for desert you can get that.

Ryans or Ponderosa or Golden Coral: First get a big ole salad. Load it with all the veggies you want, but avoid the cheese and bacon and croutons. try to find the fat free or light dressing. Most places have atleast 1. On your main plate, load up 50% with veggies. There are almost always steemed broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, etc. try to not use butter. Fill 25% with a meat, lean is best but try to find something you will enjoy. No fried chicken.lol The last 25% put something you want. I love rolls so i have one, or maybe a TINY piece of cake.

Just try to fill up on veggies and still let yourself enjoy something you want :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Just go to a bad buffet. Then you won't want to eat a thing.

Seriously though, at a buffet, for me at least, all bets are off.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Two words- sweat pants.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Two words- sweat pants.

:laugh:
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to one plate...Yeah sure that plate may end up being 3 layers high, but it makes me feel better that it's just one plate lol!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I was at a buffet once and a mother said to her kid..."Just because we are a buffet doesn't mean you can eat all that you want."
    Blew my mind.
    It was totally a red pill/blue pill moment.
  • MayberryMama
    Options
    Ah, this is my area of expertise. I live in a part of TX where the buffet is KING. And I mean the FRIED FOOD BUFFETS, not soup/salad places. Here are my top tips:

1) Begin at the salad portion of the buffet and LOAD THAT PLATE UP BABY. If it's all vegetables and maybe some beans and eggs for protein (or turkey, whatever) you are still going to have low cals. AND you will start to get full right off the bat and be less likely to pig out.

2) Between plates (like right after your salad for sure) - sit and visit and drink a WHOLE GLASS OF WATER. If I haven't had a full glass of water, I don't get to eat another plate. By then I'm about 3/4 full, but the smells of all the other goodies are calling me....

3) If you get up for a second plate - it must be divided between vegetables and fish/grilled chicken. None of the stuff with the sauces or the famous Golden Corral fried okra. This should put you at full.

4) Dessert - NEVER GO TO THE DESSERT TABLE!! Stick to the fruit on the salad bar. Even the pears and peaches in light syrup are better for you than the double fudge brownie cake waiting to strike down at the other end of the buffet. Also, if you tend to eat off your kids' plates (as I do) don't let them bring a TON of crap to the table that you know they won't be able to finish and you will be tempted to "help" them eat. I used to fix myself a tiny plate and then eat off my kids plates until I was stuffed like a sausage. Not good.

Hope these tips help - I totally understand where you are coming from!
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Souper Salad is a nice option...
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Lots of salad first, and avoid the fried stuff
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I only go to a buffet if I plan on stuffing my face!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at buffets rarely because if someone says "all you can eat" I feel a need to fulfill that goal. The same is true of an open bar.

Obviously I'm just a very goal oriented person. :ohwell:
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    damn i used to LOVE these places (especially chinese ones) before i started on MFP! ok i even ate at them after i started. i would eat so much fried crap and feel like crap afterwards, lol. but now i go for things like steamed veggies, non fried stuff, non breaded chicken, sushi at the chinese places. most usually have a salad bar too so load up on that. don't fill more than a plate!
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at buffets rarely because if someone says "all you can eat" I feel a need to fulfill that goal. The same is true of an open bar.

Obviously I'm just a very goal oriented person. :ohwell:

and i totally agree with this. i'm a cheap, poor person these days and i would be in the mindset that i would have to eat a ****load to get my money's worth. now if i go i just eat until im satisfied and forget the money part.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I only go to a buffet if I plan on stuffing my face!

Pretty much this. I dont limit intake I just limit options.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    when we go out to a buffet, (which really doesnt happen as often as id like >.>) i get a big plate of salad first, just a touch of dressing and lots of veggies and yummy stuff thats easy to eyeball portions.
    for my 2nd plate, ill take a little bit of everything that looks good that ive never had before (ie: one piece of bacon wrapped bbq shrimp) along with a small portion of my favorite item.
    i limit myself to one dessert
    i also keep track of everything on my phone and log it when i get home.