Dr. Oz's 10 weigh loss commandments!

Options
Jamie145
Jamie145 Posts: 164 Member
1. Thou Shalt Not Wear Pants that Stretch

Your clothing is an early-warning system for weight gain. When it's getting hard to snap your jeans, you know it's time to be vigilant. Wearing stretchy clothes allows you to live in ignorance of how your body is growing, making it easier to pack on pounds without knowing it.

2. Thou Shalt Not Keep Fat Clothes in Your Closet

When you keep the clothes you wore at an unhealthy weight, it gives you a back-up plan if the pounds don't come off. Instead, force yourself to stay on track by 86ing your "fat pants."

3. Thou Shalt Not Eat Meat That Walks on Four Legs More Than Once a Week

Meat that comes from an animal with 4 legs is higher in saturated fat (the unhealthy kind) than that which comes from 2-legged animals such as chickens, or animals with no legs, like fish. Plus: women who eat large amounts of red meat more than once a week have a 50% higher chance of dying from heart disease and have higher cancer rates.

4. Thou Shalt Not Graze

Plan your meal before you open the refrigerator, get what you need, and close the door. Opening it throughout the day leads to impulsive choices and overeating.

5. Thou Shalt Not Eat After 7:30pm

When you eat late at night you are more likely to be eating in front of the TV (when you won't pay attention to how much you're putting in your mouth) and you're more likely to pick high-calorie snacks.

. Thou Shalt Not Pile Food More than 1 Inch High or Within 2 Inches of the Plate Edge

Larger portions equal more calories. 'Nuff said.

7. Thou Shalt Not Chew Food Less than 20 Times Per Bite

Chewing allows your body to realize that you are eating food, prompting it to create a sensation of fullness at the appropriate time. When you don't chew enough, you get ahead of that process, eating well past when you are actually satisfied.

8. Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor's Plate

Spend your day nibbling bites on someone else's sandwich or afternoon snack, and you will add on 1,000 calories easy.

9. Thou Shalt Not Carry Small Bills

Nothing loves a small bill better than a vending machine. When you have them at the ready, you are one step closer to an impulsive, calorie-loaded afternoon slip up.

10. Thou Shalt Not Eat While Standing Up

Eating sitting down enables you to be aware of what you're eating and eat it slowly so that your body can tell you your full before it's too late.

Replies

• bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    The only one I find really difficult is the red meat one. I love a nice barbequed steak. Its one of my favourites. :(
  • Jamie145
    Jamie145 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    i eat red meat most of the week!! idk how to cut back..i do eat chicken but cant eat fish..
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    A lot of this is irrelevant if you track your calories. And the 4-legged thing is just stupid.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Well I am trying to eat a smaller steak portion, lol. Its all about balance
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I dont agree with the 4 legs meat one.
    I eat a ton of meat, always have always will, regardless if I'm bulking or cutting.

I also eat after 7:30 pm on a regular basis. I eat like 20 minutes before going to bed or I wake up starving at 3 am.
  • steffo365
    steffo365 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Your clothing is an early-warning system for weight gain. When it's getting hard to snap your jeans, you know it's time to be vigilant. Wearing stretchy clothes allows you to live in ignorance of how your body is growing, making it easier to pack on pounds without knowing it.

When you keep the clothes you wore at an unhealthy weight, it gives you a back-up plan if the pounds don't come off. Instead, force yourself to stay on track by 86ing your "fat pants."

Meat that comes from an animal with 4 legs is higher in saturated fat (the unhealthy kind) than that which comes from 2-legged animals such as chickens, or animals with no legs, like fish. Plus: women who eat large amounts of red meat more than once a week have a 50% higher chance of dying from heart disease and have higher cancer rates.

4. Thou Shalt Not Graze

Plan your meal before you open the refrigerator, get what you need, and close the door. Opening it throughout the day leads to impulsive choices and overeating.

When you eat late at night you are more likely to be eating in front of the TV (when you won't pay attention to how much you're putting in your mouth) and you're more likely to pick high-calorie snacks.

. Thou Shalt Not Pile Food More than 1 Inch High or Within 2 Inches of the Plate Edge

Chewing allows your body to realize that you are eating food, prompting it to create a sensation of fullness at the appropriate time. When you don't chew enough, you get ahead of that process, eating well past when you are actually satisfied.

Spend your day nibbling bites on someone else's sandwich or afternoon snack, and you will add on 1,000 calories easy.

Nothing loves a small bill better than a vending machine. When you have them at the ready, you are one step closer to an impulsive, calorie-loaded afternoon slip up.

Eating sitting down enables you to be aware of what you're eating and eat it slowly so that your body can tell you your full before it's too late.

blondeshoppingcartfailp1.gif
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You forgot the 11th.

11. Thou shalt open thy wallet and buy all unproven supplements I recommend.

Oh and where the **** is #6?
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I really hate anything associated with Oprah.... Dr. Oz... Dr. Phil... yada yada yada.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    the 730 thing is stupid. Your body doesn't know what time it is
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    Another Dr. Oz thread?

zAywU.jpg
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My weightloss commandments;

1. Eat a balanced diet.
    2. Eat a balanced diet with a reasonable calorie deficit.
    3. Eat a balanced diet with a reasonable calorie deficit and excersize.

Mine are easier, and proven. And you don't have to buy stupid ****.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My weightloss commandments;

1. Eat a balanced diet.
    2. Eat a balanced diet with a reasonable calorie deficit.
    3. Eat a balanced diet with a reasonable calorie deficit and excersize.

Mine are easier, and proven. And you don't have to buy stupid ****.

#3 is the best.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options

4. Thou Shalt Not Graze

blondeshoppingcartfailp1.gif

OMFG! I just rolled at work... so much so that I knocked over my water and co worker had to check on me!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Thou shalt not listen to anything Dr. OZ says.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sorry, beef and bacon are my true loves.
  • Slhuth
    Slhuth Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    question I've been wanting advice on about the eating after 7:30 pm....I work an 8-5pm job and workout straight from work at 6:00pm....I can't eat before I workout. I tried it the other day and just felt crappy the whole workout...I workout til 7:30 and am usually home by 8pm....I usually do eat something light only because I am way under my calories for the day and still under by alot sometimes but don't like eating that late....any suggestions on this?????
  • Emmersen
    Emmersen Posts: 3
    Options
    Well I am trying to eat a smaller steak portion, lol. Its all about balance
    I'm like you, I want my Fri nite steak! I'll just eat fruit or nothing so I can add it in!
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a pill.
  • jtheiss
    jtheiss Posts: 14
    Options
    question I've been wanting advice on about the eating after 7:30 pm....I work an 8-5pm job and workout straight from work at 6:00pm....I can't eat before I workout. I tried it the other day and just felt crappy the whole workout...I workout til 7:30 and am usually home by 8pm....I usually do eat something light only because I am way under my calories for the day and still under by alot sometimes but don't like eating that late....any suggestions on this?????

Eat when it's convenient for YOU! These are commandments from Dr. Oz, not commandments from God. I think many people are in a similar situation. I'm lucky if I can get dinner on the table by 7pm on weeknights, but I don't stress about it. And there are plenty of people who work the night shift who eat at wacky hours and probably maintain their weight just fine. Eat when you can eat.