Best shoes for lifting?

Options
fitJoce
fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
I know that the best shoes to wear when lifting (barbell squats and dead lifts) are those where the foot it flat and not raised at the heel. I was looking at some of the inov8 shoes and they look awesome. Just wondering what shoes other lifters here are wearing and how you like them?

Replies

• SqautsAndOats
    Options
    I like doing lower body lifts in my Vibrams. People say that you need better arch support but really how much support are you getting with several pounds of pressure in a flat footed shoe.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Chucks. I'd like to eventually get some weightlifting shoes (like Rogue Do-Wins), but I don't have $100+ to drop on new lifting shoes when I have 2 good pairs of Chucks right now.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I clicked on this thread because I thought you were asking what the best SHORTS for lifting were. I was like...wth.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Chucks. I'd like to eventually get some weightlifting shoes (like Rogue Do-Wins), but I don't have $100+ to drop on new lifting shoes when I have 2 good pairs of Chucks right now.

I have three pairs of shoes, one for bench, one for squat, and one for deadlifting. Best overall shoe is a chuck style, flat and no give in the sole which is the last thing you want when squatting.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Going to get some Chucks right now!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I have some Adidas Sambas, unfortunately I got the ones with the big bloody tongue on them. Other than that, stellar.

Men's Health mentioned...some new "minimalist" shoes...New Balance Minimus 20...supposedly they are good for sprinting too..
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I have some Adidas Sambas, unfortunately I got the ones with the big bloody tongue on them. Other than that, stellar.

Men's Health mentioned...some new "minimalist" shoes...New Balance Minimus 20...supposedly they are good for sprinting too..

I wear my Minimus 20's for almost everything now, although with an orthotic insert due to my extremely high arches. Love them and have noticed a huge difference in both my gait (running/sprinting) and my form (lifting). Also, my "buckling ankles" are a thing of the past due to the muscles building up more. I can see Chucks having the same effect.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i typically will just use barefoot(socks) for squats and deads. saves me money =p
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    i typically will just use barefoot(socks) for squats and deads. saves me money =p

I do the same. Take my cross trainers off at the squat rack and put them back on when I'm done.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    chucks or oly weightlifting shoes
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    yep.. Converse Chucks or Ox
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I had read that Chucks were the best too. Picked up a pair of pretty wine purple ones at my local DSW on clearance the other day. Also picked up a pair of New Balance Minimus "Wellness" shoes (unfortunately, NOT on clearance but still a better deal than full price retail). After walking around in the NB shoes - I fell in love....and just returned the Chucks yesterday. :)
  • biglifts
    biglifts Posts: 5
    Options
    Checks are widely used because they are cheap and get the job done. If you go that route, get the low-tops as the high-tops can actually prevent ankle flexibility. I also don't like that most all-stars are made of a canvas textile, which isn't a supportive as leather, and they run narrow.

Other options would be any skateboarding type shoe like Van, Airwalk, etc that are totally flat but a little wider and made of leather. I personally really like the Reebok Nanos that just came out (http://wlshoes.com/review/reebok-crossfit-flex-nano-shoes/) They are a little pricey but well worth it for a multi-functional shoe.
  • princesspita
    princesspita Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Get an oly shoe.

VS Athletics offers a weightlifting shoe for a more than reasonable price. These are a comfortable foot with solid stance. Your lifts will improve with a good shoe.

http://www.vsathletics.com/product.php?xProd=1301
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    i use minimus.
  • Fit_and_Healthy
    Options
    I like working out in Vibram Five Fingers
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I use some Airwalk trainers. Skate shoes, so big and flat with decent support for the ankles.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I had to go down to a athletic shoe shop and get fitted. I tried on several pairs but the asics blur33 shoes felt best on my feet.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

I do the same. Take my cross trainers off at the squat rack and put them back on when I'm done.

Same here. My Crossfit instructor said this was best!