new puppy!

Options
staceyw37
staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
i'm NVTS, nuts! i just bought a new puppy! it's a puggle and right now she just curled up at my feet.
husband is gonna be beyond mad about this--but it'll all work out. right??

tazzy--are you out there?? what am to do with a puppy??

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Any pics yet??? :heart:

Congrats on the new addition!! :smile:
  • TammieD
    TammieD Posts: 22
    Options
    Oh, you are brave...:laugh: Wow, has he seen her yet? What did you name her? Oh heck I would probably do the same thing.:smile:
  • staceyw37
    Options
    took pics but haven't downloaded the camera yet. the kids love her. no name decided on yet.

hubby MAD, silently MAD.
    i apologized for being so seemingly disrespectful by just going out and doing this. but i already know how he felt, so discussing it wasn't going to change things. in truth, i bought the dog FOR me, for the kids, not AGAINST him. hopefully, he'll come to see that in time.

will post up pics some time this week, i imagine.
    thanks for the well wishes!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    if you are married to a man who hates puppies, perhaps you should rethink things..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

of course I am kidding. :bigsmile:

Take it from me- 2 dogs, four cats, a gecko and a fish- they get over it.

And- if he doesn't, then the bright side is...he won't try to take your dog:laugh:

OMG I am just kidding!!!!!!
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    i'm NVTS, nuts! i just bought a new puppy! it's a puggle and right now she just curled up at my feet.

What's a Puggle?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am owned by a JRT, a Doxie, and a Chihuahua mix.
  • staceyw37
    Options
    Congrats! I am owned by a JRT, a Doxie, and a Chihuahua mix.

i've never seen anyone quote the lady of shalott. how interesting to come across it.
  • staceyw37
    Options

What's a Puggle?

1/2 pug (dad) and 1/2 beagle (mom)
  • staceyw37
    Options
    if you are married to a man who hates puppies, perhaps you should rethink things..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And- if he doesn't, then the bright side is...he won't try to take your dog:laugh:

i know i know :wink:
    but having BIG second thoughts--bad impulse decision, what do i know abt this breed?, he wd've agreed (reluctantly) to a lab in another year or so, when the baby is older, like we need the extra expense or responsibility, etc etc
    the only "undo" for this mistake is to give it back to the store or have vet or puggle group find a free home for her--and lie to the kids about it. we'd be out the money, but there'd be peace in the home.

ugh. i so put myself up a creek! :frown:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    What can I say...I love Tennyson. :laugh:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

i know i know :wink:
    but having BIG second thoughts--bad impulse decision, what do i know abt this breed?, he wd've agreed (reluctantly) to a lab in another year or so, when the baby is older, like we need the extra expense or responsibility, etc etc
    the only "undo" for this mistake is to give it back to the store or have vet or puggle group find a free home for her--and lie to the kids about it. we'd be out the money, but there'd be peace in the home.

ugh. i so put myself up a creek! :frown:

I think you should wait a week or two and then decide. it is not fair to the dog who depends on you for her life to just dump her because hubby is having a temper tantrum.

(I mean this lovingly, but firmly):heart:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    [/quote]

I think you should wait a week or two and then decide. it is not fair to the dog who depends on you for her life to just dump her because hubby is having a temper tantrum.

(I mean this lovingly, but firmly):heart:
    [/quote]

I agree 100%, I work with the humane society and the ASPCA, there are already enough animals without a home...please keep it...it just takes time and patience.
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Well, perhaps you could tell your hubby that since beagles are relatively high-energy (I have two bea-tzus & a schnoodle; a bea-tzu is a beagle-shih tzu and a schnoodle is a schnauzer-poodle), it's your new workout buddy. I see lots of walks in your future! 1/2 beagle puppies are great! One of my bea-tzus turns 1 year old on Friday and it's been great so far. Of course, you have puppy moments in which you say to yourself that you hate all dogs and puppies :explode: and then they do something cute and you just can't be mad anymore :happy: .

...and your puggle may sing! My puppy sings (and isn't very happy when she does, so it's really funny!). And she likes ice cubes. It's a riot to see her playing with the ice cubes. You may want to try it with your puggle when she is teething (because beagles LOVE to chew on things!!!). Maybe there are some things that you want to hope the pug side will come out more than the beagle side. :wink:
  • staceyw37
    Options
    i'm so upset with myself :explode: for creating a DRAMA situation in the first place. "coasting" was "fine"--but obviously not cuz i went and shook things up!!

i'll take her to the vet for her free/required check up and have that much more info.

gotta take kids to school--keep the notes comin' if you would. :heart:
  • staceyw37
    Options
    there is a family (husb/wife with baby on the way and 2 puggles already) who will happily take my new puppy for me.

her vet visit went fine. she has kennel cough and i have the antibiotics for it.

i realize that the older the puppy gets, the harder it will be to get her a different home. so do i take this opportunity of a family who wants her and thus re-establish peace with hubby?? kids will be heartbroken.

thoughts??
  • molsongirl
    Options
    there is a family (husb/wife with baby on the way and 2 puggles already) who will happily take my new puppy for me.

her vet visit went fine. she has kennel cough and i have the antibiotics for it.

i realize that the older the puppy gets, the harder it will be to get her a different home. so do i take this opportunity of a family who wants her and thus re-establish peace with hubby?? kids will be heartbroken.

thoughts??

Don't give up the puppy. I did the same thing to my hubby with my bulldog, he hated me for a good 2 months, but i'm telling you they were the most peaceful, uninterrupted two months of my life. I can't imagine life without Lola, she even to this day growls at my hubby!! He now loves her, he has no choice. I've always wanted a pup, and he's aways said no, I did the same thing, bought her and brought her home, my house as well, and I take on full responsibility for her, vet costs, food, you name it....give the pup a chance and hubby as well he may grow to love this little addition.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're in this predicament. As a dog lover (I'm owned by 3) and as someone who works in rescue, I've heard this sort of story a million times.

#1 - DON'T ever buy a dog at a pet store! Dogs that are in pet stores come from puppy mills. When you buy from a pet store you are supporting the puppy mill practice and they are terrible horrible places!

#2 - As hard as it is - it's never a good idea to bring a dog into a home where everyone is not in agreement. A dog is a big commitment and it requires the whole families participation. That being said - perhaps hubby will come around... who couldn't love a puppy???

#3 - A puggle is not a "breed". A puggle is a mutt. A cute mutt - but a mutt nonetheless. Calling it a "puggle" or a designer breed - just allows them to put a higher price tag on it.

Because your dog is a mix between a pug and a beagle - here are some things that you can typically count on. He will be hard headed - both of these breeds are extremely determined to do things their way. He will probably be difficult to potty train (beagles often are). He will be very, very energetic - lots of walks, playing in the backyard and trips to the doggie park will be in order. He will be very scent-directed... do not allow him off-leash unless he is enclosed in a fenced in backyard. He will be loyal, loving and playful... both breeds are generally good family dogs.

If you choose to rehome this puppy - make sure that you know something about the home he is going to... do they take their dogs to the vet regularly? Do they have a fenced in yard? Are they prepared for the food bills, vet bills, etc that come along with having another dog in the house? If you call a local rescue - be prepared that they may ask you for a surrender-fee. We charge people who are looking to surrender their pet a surrender fee to help cover the cost that it will take to vet, feed and care for that animal until we can find it a home.

For what it's worth - we had a similar situation a few months ago in my home. I fell in love with a foster dog that I COULD NOT let go... I thought it was going to come down to him or the dog and I'm not so sure who would have come out the winner. I spent a lot of time crunching numbers, pleading my case and making promises and in the end we kept her. Explain to your husband WHY you felt now was a good time but remember to acknowledge that you made an error in judgement by not having his agreement.

keep us posted... I hope that you get to keep him!!!!
  • molsongirl
    Options
    I'm sorry you're in this predicament. As a dog lover (I'm owned by 3) and as someone who works in rescue, I've heard this sort of story a million times.

#1 - DON'T ever buy a dog at a pet store! Dogs that are in pet stores come from puppy mills. When you buy from a pet store you are supporting the puppy mill practice and they are terrible horrible places!

#2 - As hard as it is - it's never a good idea to bring a dog into a home where everyone is not in agreement. A dog is a big commitment and it requires the whole families participation. That being said - perhaps hubby will come around... who couldn't love a puppy???

#3 - A puggle is not a "breed". A puggle is a mutt. A cute mutt - but a mutt nonetheless. Calling it a "puggle" or a designer breed - just allows them to put a higher price tag on it.

Because your dog is a mix between a pug and a beagle - here are some things that you can typically count on. He will be hard headed - both of these breeds are extremely determined to do things their way. He will probably be difficult to potty train (beagles often are). He will be very, very energetic - lots of walks, playing in the backyard and trips to the doggie park will be in order. He will be very scent-directed... do not allow him off-leash unless he is enclosed in a fenced in backyard. He will be loyal, loving and playful... both breeds are generally good family dogs.

If you choose to rehome this puppy - make sure that you know something about the home he is going to... do they take their dogs to the vet regularly? Do they have a fenced in yard? Are they prepared for the food bills, vet bills, etc that come along with having another dog in the house? If you call a local rescue - be prepared that they may ask you for a surrender-fee. We charge people who are looking to surrender their pet a surrender fee to help cover the cost that it will take to vet, feed and care for that animal until we can find it a home.

For what it's worth - we had a similar situation a few months ago in my home. I fell in love with a foster dog that I COULD NOT let go... I thought it was going to come down to him or the dog and I'm not so sure who would have come out the winner. I spent a lot of time crunching numbers, pleading my case and making promises and in the end we kept her. Explain to your husband WHY you felt now was a good time but remember to acknowledge that you made an error in judgement by not having his agreement.

AHHH...I was with you up until the "made an error in judgement by not having his agreement". Sometimes men say no just to say no...no other reason, no other explanation. If this is important to you to have a dog, then he should at least have respect enough to respect how you feel, if he's allergic or you really don't have the time for a dog, then that's a valid excuse....but if it's purely because he doesn't want a dog, why does he win? Geeez, half the time i'm not in agreement when he's in the "mood" but gosh gotta throw him a bone once in awhile :laugh: , they can surely do the same for us. :tongue:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

AHHH...I was with you up until the "made an error in judgement by not having his agreement". Sometimes men say no just to say no...no other reason, no other explanation. If this is important to you to have a dog, then he should at least have respect enough to respect how you feel, if he's allergic or you really don't have the time for a dog, then that's a valid excuse....but if it's purely because he doesn't want a dog, why does he win? Geeez, half the time i'm not in agreement when he's in the "mood" but gosh gotta throw him a bone once in awhile :laugh: , they can surely do the same for us. :tongue:

LOL! Your post had me laughing so hard that I woke my son up! I DO think that all parties involved have to buy into the idea of having a dog in the family.... because you're adding a four-legged member to the family who will be around for up to 15 years or so (depending on the breed). Having a dog impacts your lifestyle - if you go out of town you have to decide if you can take it with you, if not can someone keep him for you or do you need to pay for a kennel? Kennel's aren't cheap - last time we went on vacation, we paid more in "doggy hotel" expenses than we did for our own. There were 2 dogs and 3 humans!!!! LOL!
    I agree that a husband should have the respect for his wife to listen to how she feels, but in all honesty - she should do the same. It's almost like having a child... it generally works best if both parties are in agreement that it's a good time to add a child to the family or at least in agreement of what they will do should a pregnancy take place.
    I just see too many dogs cross my doorstep because someone bought a dog as a gift for someone else, got a dog without the agreement of their spouse or failed to think everything through completely before bringing the cute little puppy home.
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    The damage is done now, he will get over it, but I wouldn't want to break my kids heart!