How much time do *you* rest between sets??

Options
I know the standard is 60 seconds, but I rest 45. Does that mean I'm not lifting enough? I feel super tired and drained after my 8 reps, and not quite ready after 45 seconds, but I do it anyway to push myself (and save a little time, hehe). Any super fit people who rest less than 60 seconds?

Thanks!

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Rest however long you need to.
    If you're doing lifts that aren't super demanding (no heavy squats or deads) then theres nothing wrong with short rest periods provided you're still making progress in your weight/reps.

Shorter rest periods can be great for igniting some muscle growth/progress.
    I try to keep my training fairly dense once I get to things like pullups, rows. Keeping rest periods as short as I can while doing whats required.
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I know the standard is 60 seconds, but I rest 45. Does that mean I'm not lifting enough? I feel super tired and drained after my 8 reps, and not quite ready after 45 seconds, but I do it anyway to push myself (and save a little time, hehe). Any super fit people who rest less than 60 seconds?

Thanks!
    No it doesnt, I rest between one minute and one minute and 30 seconds depending on the particular exericise and muscle group I am working. Try to do 8 reps, if you can do 10 reps, slightly increase the amount of weight, if you do 7 or less reps, slighty decrease the weight for your next set.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the muscle group , for example for a larger muscle group I will allow more time in between sets (like for legs 60 seconds but for abdominals I try to do it with as little rest as possible.)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    No it doesnt, I rest between one minute and one minute and 30 seconds depending on the particular exericise and muscle group I am working. Try to do 8 reps, if you can do 10 reps, slightly increase the amount of weight, if you do 7 or less reps, slighty decrease the weight for your next set.

He's got the right idea.

Different lifts require different rest periods. Pullups I might wait 45-60 seconds. Deadlifts I'll sometimes wait 4-5 minutes. Depends on how hard it taxes your CNS, and how many muscle groups are worked.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    totally depends on your workout.

Some of my "heavy" workouts require 2 min rests, but that's when I'm doing 2-4 reps of almost max weight.

When I'm on a week off heavy weights I'll typically do 15-20 second rests with 8-10 reps.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'll rest till i know i can complete a full set.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the information and reassurance guys! I'll keep up with what I'm doing until I run into a wall, and then I'll readjust! :-)