Where is the lost weight coming from?

Options
I have a question about my progress. I purchased a scale that also has a body fat % monitor. I figured body fat % would be a better indicator of my progress than weight alone, especially with weight lifting and exercise. In the past month I've lost 10 pounds, but the % has stayed at 29.4% the entire time. If I've lost weight, but have the same body fat %, where is that weight coming from? I can't imagine it's all water weight, because I've lost inches as well. How can I start losing that fat?

Thoughts?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have a question about my progress. I purchased a scale that also has a body fat % monitor. I figured body fat % would be a better indicator of my progress than weight alone, especially with weight lifting and exercise. In the past month I've lost 10 pounds, but the % has stayed at 29.4% the entire time. If I've lost weight, but have the same body fat %, where is that weight coming from? I can't imagine it's all water weight, because I've lost inches as well. How can I start losing that fat?

Thoughts?

Scales/bioimpadence machines are pretty inaccurate. But if that was a true case, that means you would lose some combination of water and muscle.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Hydration level can throw off those things + or - like 5%.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Better question is - where is it going?
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Assuming that number is accurate (which it's probably not, on that kind of machine), you tend to lose some of both muscle and fat when dieting, so the overall ratio of LBM to fat might not move as fast as you'd expect based on the overall weight that has come off.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    invest in a body fat caliper .. much more accurate and generally only costs 10-15 bucks.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Better question is - where is it going?

Germany.
    Warum habe ich immer hunger?!!