Could you do it?

Options
My recent pet peeve lately is how radio DJ's are now doing commericials, espeically on morning shows. During the show they'll just break out with "so over the weekend I got to thinking about gas prices and so I went and visited my friends over at Such and Such Ford dealership and test drove the new Focus and I absolutely love it". Yeah, I'm sure you did. Just like I'm sure you took your kids to this dairy for ice cream that you're plugging and had your carpets cleaned by such and such company.

I guess they bug me so much because they are trying to make it sound like the DJ's really did these things to make it sound like a more credible source, but you know they're totally scripted and it's still a commercial. The absolute worst one though is all these DJ's supposedly using Quick Trim and Slim Quick or whatever the latest fad is. I guess it's one thing if you go out specifically trying to audition for a commercial, but if I just had a job as a DJ and was suddenly told I have to promote this "weightloss" product and tell my listeners (people who will likely believe me because they listen to me every morning and probably feel like they know me) that I used this crap and it worked even though I was sitting on my lazy butt stuffing pizza in my mouth......I'd be really pissed, I don't think I could do it. I wonder if they have a choice, like do this commercial or find a new job.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's probably in their contract that they have to do it. I'd like to say I wouldn't do it, but if it comes down to making a living and feeding your family...