question RE: sedentary, lightly active, etc etc

Options
question for my MFPer friends: for your lifestyle (sedentary, lightly active, mod. active, very active), do you or do you not log your exercise if you are including that in your lifestyle? I just switched to mod. active based on my level of working out/sports I do during the week, and wasn't sure if I'm supposed to ALSO include the cals burned from them or if that would just be doubling the output on here...

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Your exercise isn't supposed to count towards that setting. If you get extra calories because you put "active" AND you get extra calories from exercise, you're going to be eating too much.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    question for my MFPer friends: for your lifestyle (sedentary, lightly active, mod. active, very active), do you or do you not log your exercise if you are including that in your lifestyle? I just switched to mod. active based on my level of working out/sports I do during the week, and wasn't sure if I'm supposed to ALSO include the cals burned from them or if that would just be doubling the output on here...

If exercise is in your TDEE calculation like yours, you dont eat back exercise calories. If you notice you aren't losing, then it might be under calculating but you can add 200 calories for a month to see if that jump starts the lose again.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Your exercise isn't supposed to count towards that setting. If you get extra calories because you put "active" AND you get extra calories from exercise, you're going to be eating too much.

Actually it can be. It's a different approach. This one works a bit better as you aren't chasing your exercise calories if you workout late at night.

And in fact, I have done this method for well over 100 people with success in losing weight.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would not include it in your lifestyle. Add exercise when you do it. You lifestyle pertains to normal daily activity without exercise.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    the first 45 days on here, i had it at sedentary, and was eating back my calories, no progress, so I'm trying the alternative, setting it higher, and figured not to eat them back.

two conflicting responses, though :/
  • kealambert
    Options

Actually it can be. It's a different approach. This one works a bit better as you aren't chasing your exercise calories if you workout late at night.

And in fact, I have done this method for well over 100 people with success in losing weight.

this is encouraging. i had the same viewpoint as the others in here have had, and since I workout after I get home from work, sometimes 9-10pm, I really struggle to get those calories back, and also fear eating that close to when I sleep would affect my metabolism.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    the first 45 days on here, i had it at sedentary, and was eating back my calories, no progress, so I'm trying the alternative, setting it higher, and figured not to eat them back.

two conflicting responses, though :/

I always was honest. I used the settings for active / sedentary, etc. Then also ate my exercise cals. All of them. The one thing I didn't do is input how many workouts a week I planned to do into the goal wizard.

I used "Lightly Active" even though I wasn't working and I'm not that busy in my life ( no kids or husband to run after ).

I lost 52 lbs in eight months. Exercised 3-5 days a week and added the exercise in separately.

I think you just pick one, if it doesn't work, change it next month.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to sedentary because I have a desk job, and I log all exercise.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options

No, what I'm saying is you have to choose one method.
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options

I agree with this one.
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options

If exercise is in your TDEE calculation like yours, you dont eat back exercise calories. If you notice you aren't losing, then it might be under calculating but you can add 200 calories for a month to see if that jump starts the lose again.

Can you explain to me what TDEE is?
  • psuLemon
    Options

got it, sorry about that. I misread it.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a food scale to see if you are eating more than you think.
  • kealambert
    Options

this is what I've been doing, and hasn't been successful thus far (actually grew an inch in my belly/waist and 2+inches on my thighs, and an inch on my biceps) while going up in weight and BF%, so it's probalby something I was doing inaccurately, but I need to find a method that works for me
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options

got it, sorry about that. I misread it.
    I think I was unclear, actually.
  • kealambert
    Options
    Get yourself a food scale to see if you are eating more than you think.

it's been on my list, but budget is super tight, it's something I HAVE to hold back on (I'm not going to get a 10 dollar scale, if I can help it)
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options

I am considering changing my numbers to include the amount of exercise I do. Like you said, I tend to "chase" my exercise calories since I work out at night mostly which makes me eat too little during the day and have a massive amount of calories to eat in the evening. I know that I can balance it out by eating more the next day, but it makes it harder to track/messes with your mental balance of eating. Thanks for that!

To the OP, I would do whatever way is the best for you. If having a set number of calories including exercise is the best way for you to lose, then I would set your activity level to how much you are working out. If you want to lose even without exercise and "earn" the extra calories, then I would set it to your everyday level ie: sedentary for desk job, lightly active for a sales/retail job etc.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Go to http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and figure out your TDEE including exercise, they take off 20% and eat that amount but don't eat extra for the exercise you do. That is what I am doing, and I am losing just fine. Much easier for me. You will likely find you are eating a fair amount more.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I put mine at lightly active because of all the walking i do and i'm currently doing the shred so i guess that's my lifestyle. I eat 1340 + most of my exercise calories...will see if it's done me any good come monday weigh in i guess, i have to say though i definitely feel fitter and not stuffed nor hungry so can't be doing any harm.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Go to http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and figure out your TDEE including exercise, they take off 20% and eat that amount but don't eat extra for the exercise you do. That is what I am doing, and I am losing just fine. Much easier for me. You will likely find you are eating a fair amount more.

Crikey just done mine on there and i'm supposed to be eating 2231 i don't even eat 2000 on a daily basis with exercise calories :s