silly 5k question.......

Options
cmaxmor
cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
Number on the front or the back? Feel free to dispence any other advice. It's my first time.

Replies

• czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Not a silly question at all... I remember asking the lady when I picked up my packet at my first 5 k the same question. On the front - belly area. Most of the 5k races I have done take the tab thing at the bottom of the number as you cross the finish line. I am pretty sure even the 5k that was chip timed did this. When is your 5k? I am running a 5k tomorrow! Hopefully the rain stays away... even though it could be fun running in the rain too! Good luck!
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Your race number goes on the front!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    useful to know! I'll be running my first in ~5 weeks!
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Number on the front or the back? Feel free to dispence any other advice. It's my first time.

Front. If you are interested in photographs, most races have photographers that take pictures and catalog them based on your bib number.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Front, and if you don't want to put pins through your favourite shirt you can pick up a race belt with little bungee bib holders.

Also, it's considered bad form to wear the race shirt (if they're giving one out) on race day. You earn the bragging rights by crossing the finish line with a smile on your face!
  • cmaxmor
    Options
    Not a silly question at all... I remember asking the lady when I picked up my packet at my first 5 k the same question. On the front - belly area. Most of the 5k races I have done take the tab thing at the bottom of the number as you cross the finish line. I am pretty sure even the 5k that was chip timed did this. When is your 5k? I am running a 5k tomorrow! Hopefully the rain stays away... even though it could be fun running in the rain too! Good luck!

Thanks! 8:30 is the start time. It is supposed to be a lovely day tomorrow here in Texas...
  • cmaxmor
    Options
    Front, and if you don't want to put pins through your favourite shirt you can pick up a race belt with little bungee bib holders.

Also, it's considered bad form to wear the race shirt (if they're giving one out) on race day. You earn the bragging rights by crossing the finish line with a smile on your face!

Good to know! I don't want to look like a noob!
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Yep...front. I'll add much more on the stomach area than the chest. Certaintly not where a nametag would go, Ask me how i know:laugh:
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    umm...just saying that IF it is cold out, the bib up higher is a nice thing
  • cmaxmor
    Options
    umm...just saying that IF it is cold out, the bib up higher is a nice thing

Rainbow....the more you know!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is a silly question at all. I also don't see anything wrong with "looking like a noob." You're only new once, I say enjoy the heck out of it. Yes, figuring out race etiquette and and the what not can be a little intimidating, but it's also empowering and enlightening.

Plus, for the most part, the running world loves newbies. Old grizzled hardcores quite often embrace newbies' sense of adventure and freshness, and go out of their ways to encourage newbies. I see this all the time, believe it or not. Think of it like this - You're not a noob, you're a new runner (or racer). And runners love more runners. If anything, "Welcome to the club, please enjoy your learning curve."

And have a great 5k! It's race day!!!! WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MellyLikestoRun
    MellyLikestoRun Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If I know I will be peeling off a layer, like a long sleeved shirt, I will pin my number to my thigh. Have a great race! Relax and ENJOY! - Melissa
  • cmaxmor
    Options
    Hey all! Just thought I'd let you know my race went great today! I was done in 37 minutes. Not bad for a newbie...