Confused and worried

Options
I have been on a steady weight loss since I restarted on Feb 13th I have lost 20lbs since that date. However I weighed myself today and I have gained about 5 lbs back. My diet and cardio haven't changed, the only thing that has changed is that I started weight lifting and drinking protein shakes about 3 weeks ago. So I don't understand the weight gain.... Its frustrating.....Please explain if you can....

Replies

• TriTigress
    Options
    If you started weight training and drinking protein shakes..it is very likely that the weight is from muscle gain..which is not a bad thing :)
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    From everything I've read, it's water retention due the muscles healing after the lifting. Assuming of course, that you're tracking the calories in the protein shakes and still meeting your daily intake goals!

Keep at it and you should drop quickly once water balance is achieved.
  • TriTigress
    Options
    If you are starting a serious weight training regime..you may what to go to a gym that has tools to measure fat percentages, or invest in the scales that will measure that...so you have a better idea of your actual progress and fitness :)
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Does Weight Training Cause Water Retention?
    Mar 14, 2011 | By Michelle M. Matte, CSCS

Muscle soreness after vigorous weight training is common and to be expected. But what you may not anticipate is the slight weight gain of a few pounds a day or two after your workout. Don't worry. The extra weight is just water due to inflammation that will go away in a few days. . . .

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/402701-does-weight-training-cause-water-retention/#ixzz1pyTskVc6
  • MRC77
    MRC77 Posts: 51
    Options
    Thank you guys, I was beginning to worry...... That info helps a lot....