Groin and lower ab muscles

Options
Good evening folks!

Which lifts or exercises are good to build muscle in these areas?
I've had a google but it seems to be more about 'toning' than building muscle.

Replies

• SqautsAndOats
    Options
    1. NO such thing as "lower" ab muscles. The abdominals "6 pack" are all one muscle, its impossible to isolate the lower set.

2. Squats and Dead-lifts will make your abs REALLY strong.

3. why would you want your tummy to look bigger? Building muscle mass in your abdomen will just make your waist widder, dropping body fat will make it skinnier.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    1. NO such thing as "lower" ab muscles. The abdominals "6 pack" are all one muscle, its impossible to isolate the lower set.

3. why would you want your tummy to look bigger? Building muscle mass in your abdomen will just make your waist widder, dropping body fat will make it skinnier.

Agreed. I'd add that only HEAVY squats and dead lifts will make your abs strong. Most people who do lighter weights don't engage their abs properly (if at all) because they don't need to. You cannot perform squats or dead lifts with heavy weights without engaging the abs in a big way.
  • CyanideCyster
    Options
    Ok thanks guys! I'm already lifting 'heavy' (only got 56lbs worth of weights at home which I've maxed so joining a gym next week)
    So I'll stick with that.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

Agreed. I'd add that only HEAVY squats and dead lifts will make your abs strong. Most people who do lighter weights don't engage their abs properly (if at all) because they don't need to. You cannot perform squats or dead lifts with heavy weights without engaging the abs in a big way.

^^