fitbit adjustement is huge!

Help! I am NOT going to eat 2200 calories a day, but fitbit added 830 cals to my diary. If I eat 1500 even though Net will be very low is that ok because I did not burn 830 cals doing exercise...I am so confused

Replies

• I never eat them all; at most, I eat about 1/2. I find that works for me.

~~Marilyn
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    i have to admit i dont know exactly how the fitbit works, but i dont see the problem with eating 2200 calories?
    i eat 1845 on rest days, and up to 2500 or so on exercise days and lose just fine.. whats your bmr?
  • mrspiz
    mrspiz Posts: 10
    BMR according to MFP is 1879..what does that mean?
  • rockerbabyy
    that is the number of calories your body would need to keep functioning if you were in a coma.
    when you eat below your BMR, your body gets used to it and your metabolism will slow down to the number youve been eating at.. a lot of people suggest not eating below your BMR (im one of them, 1845 is my bmr)
    as soon as you get out of bed in the morning, your body requires more than your BMR. taking into account all of the activities you do during the day will get you TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). even at sedentary you would multiply your bmr by 1.2 to get an approximate tdee. that would be the number to eat to maintain your current weight.. you should take your deficit off that. (500 for a pound a week loss)..
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Did you just get your Fitbit? I would recommend searching groups. There is one called Fitbit Users and everyone is helpful there. It took me a while to figure it out.
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    that is the number of calories your body would need to keep functioning if you were in a coma.
    when you eat below your BMR, your body gets used to it and your metabolism will slow down to the number youve been eating at.. a lot of people suggest not eating below your BMR (im one of them, 1845 is my bmr)
    as soon as you get out of bed in the morning, your body requires more than your BMR. taking into account all of the activities you do during the day will get you TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). even at sedentary you would multiply your bmr by 1.2 to get an approximate tdee. that would be the number to eat to maintain your current weight.. you should take your deficit off that. (500 for a pound a week loss)..

I have read many snippets regarding BMR and TDEE and this is the first one that actually makes sense to me!
  • rockerbabyy

I have read many snippets regarding BMR and TDEE and this is the first one that actually makes sense to me!
    glad to have kinda cleared it up for you :)
  • torri106
    torri106 Posts: 17
    I'ive had the fitbit for a week...i love it. the one thing i had a hard time with at first was this same thing.

The fitbits exercise adjustment changes throughout the day...if i check it after a run ill have a crazy amount like 1000 exercise cals...its basically saying if i did the same level of activity ive done up to that point for the rest of the day, id have that many. As my activity lessens those calories deplete so by the end of the day it would be say, 400 cal. i use the stopwatch feature for my exercises and make a exercise note in mfp so i know how many of the adjustment is actual exercise cals and those are what i eat back.

Im still learning but since getting it ive lost 2 pounds!