First marathon - training plan adjustment?

Options
Hello!
In about 5 weeks I'll be running my first marathon, and I've been following Hal Higdon's Novice 2 plan, found here: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51138/Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

The next few weeks long runs are like this:
week 13 - 19m (done today!)
week 14 - 12m
week 15 - 20m
week 16 - 12m
week 17 - 8m
week 18 - marathon

My question is this... I've been training with a good friend since the beginning, and so far we've managed to run al of our long runs together except one. Well, unfortunately for week 15, the 20 miler, we can't make our schedules coincide and if we leave things like they are we'll be stuck running it solo.

We were thinking of running the 20 miler either early, or later. I think running it during week 16 (on a friday, which is when we have been doing most of our long runs), would probably be best, but that would only leave us a 2 week taper. I've heard some people say that the usual 3 week taper is too long anyway, so I wanted to see what the general consensus on here was, before we make our adjustments. The other part of this is that if we do move our 20 miler to week 16, what should we run week 15? It doesn't make sense to run two 12 milers in a row, so we were debating on 15 or 16 miles, but again, I'm interested to see what others think. We REALLY want to run this last long run together if at all possible.

Any tips/advice appreciated!!!

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    If I were in that position, I would do the 20 miler in week 14 vs. 16. Best not to push the longest long run closer to race day.
  • k_bignon
    k_bignon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well, I have only done one, so I am no expert.....but I agree the 3 week taper felt too long to me. I followed the same plan, for my long run schedule. I think I would go like this- 19, 12, 15, 20, 12, 8. I really wish I had actually done 2 20+ runs, and for future marathons I will do so. I felt a little under -prepared following Hal's Novice 2 plan for long runs.....but I didn't get as high in my weekday distance as he suggest bc I didn't have the time during the week, so maybe had I done more in the 6-10 range, I would have been better off. So, yeah to answer your question....I don't think a 2 week taper is too short! GL!
  • k_bignon
    k_bignon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oooops, that would be 19, 12, 15, 20, 8.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm no help - I would have done 12 today and 20 next week. I wouldn't push that 20 to 2 weeks before tho, it's too hard to recover. Can you split the 12 next week into two 10's an AM and PM run of 10 each or 15 and 5?
  • Tiffany789
    Tiffany789 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Since this is your first marathon, I'd do the full three week taper. I've run many long runs with my running partner, and have run two solo 20 milers. Both are nice. I'm in my 2nd week of taper, and as tough as it is, I'm glad I started tapering when I did.

Good luck.
  • Tiffany789
    Tiffany789 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is the training program I'm using, also Hal Higdon but the intermediate 2.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51140/Marathon-Intermediate-2-Training-Program
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I had a similar problem scheduling my 20 miler because I am on vacation 3 weeks out from my marathon. I am not a fan of doing 20 miles 2 weeks before race day, but I've done it before and did ok. My approach is to run 20 miles 4 weeks out, and run 18 miles 2 weeks out, but I also am not following a Higdon or other well-known plan, and I had plenty of time to get my long runs in order. Seems like you might be forced to either run the 20 solo or 2 weeks out. I'd probably go solo.
  • tjalt
    tjalt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Dude. I am not a fan AT ALL of the two week taper for beginning runners. Period. Especially since you girls are doing all of the midweek runs too. And sandy is doing a race the week before your marathon. You have barely varied from the plan at all......two weeks prior to marathon day is not the time to do it. More advanced runners do 2weeks. You cannot compare yourself to them. I loved the three week taper in Hal's plan. If you ABSOLUTELY have to do a 2week, do not run 20 miles. Ugh. Okay. Done with my two cents :) xoxo