nike plus +

Options
Hey everyone! I was thinking about asking for the nike + ipod system for my birthday and was wondering if anyone was using this system and how they did/did not like it. I have just started running and I would love a way to track my distance/calories burned.

Replies

• 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,387 Member
    Options
    Used it last year and loved it!!! I appreciated seeing my distance and tracking my pace as I went. The Nike Plus saved me having to drive a new route to see how far I was going.

Just an FYI: when the battery goes, you have to buy a whole new system, can't just replace the battery. Found out the hard way, and I still need to get a new one. I will though, it is worth it.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    What must you replace? A little $30 transmitter or more like a $100 system?
  • lilone83
    lilone83 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i love the nike+! i use it everyday - its logs EVERYTHING which motivates me to run/beat my goals. its extremely user friendly and the website has lots of challenges you can join for extra motivation. the coolest part for me was when 2008 ended and it summarized how many gallons of gas i saved by running, how many pounds i lost (based on total number of calories burned) my "favorite day to run" (whichever day i ran most frequently) and lots more.

let me know if you get it - we can create a team and track each others progress :)

(note: make sure you calibrate your sensor when you get it so it knows what a true mile is in your shoes)
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THE NIKE PLUS SYSTEM!!! It really is a great invention... GET IT! :happy:

shelleywest... there is a group of us on the nike plus website that started a challenge for MFPers only (whoever runs the most miles) Its been going for awhile but keep your eye open because we will probably do another one next month!

~Leash :heart:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Just remember to take the chip out after you run/workout. I learned the hardway. If sweat gets trapped in between the usb port of the ipod and the chip and ruins your ipod, you have to buy a new ipod. It is considered water damage by Apple. On a brighter note, I didn't have to pay full price for a new ipod. Apple let me buy a replacement for 1/2 price.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Just remember to take the chip out after you run/workout. I learned the hardway. If sweat gets trapped in between the usb port of the ipod and the chip and ruins your ipod, you have to buy a new ipod. It is considered water damage by Apple. On a brighter note, I didn't have to pay full price for a new ipod. Apple let me buy a replacement for 1/2 price.

Wow I never take mine out! I guess I've been lucky, thanks!
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have a stupid question, does the chip only fit inside nike shoes? i know they have a special compartment for them. I was looking at those expensive garmin forerunners that are so cool, but i like the price of this. of course i bought a shuffle so it wouldn't work with that anyway....
  • lilone83
    Options
    thanks leash! i'll be on the lookout :)
  • lilone83
    Options
    I have a stupid question, does the chip only fit inside nike shoes? i know they have a special compartment for them. I was looking at those expensive garmin forerunners that are so cool, but i like the price of this. of course i bought a shuffle so it wouldn't work with that anyway....

not a stupid question - i orginally didnt get it because i thought you HAD to wear nikes (which dont fit me well). if you go to a running store, they have holders that you tie to your shoes. i use that and works like a charm. if you cant find one, let me know, they're $5 bucks and i can just mail you one :)
  • strangesangria
    strangesangria Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will definately ask for this for my bday now :) I have been doing the couch to 5k program and just finally finished the 30 minute run. (using robert ulrey's podcasts) It will definately be nice to listen to my own music though :) I'll look for the MFP team on the nike plus website once i get everything set up. bday is June 1rst. Thanks :bigsmile:
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,387 Member
    Options
    Lauren: you just replace the $30 system.

I use a holder too, as Nikes don't fit my feet well either.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I have one and I love it too!

But mine needs to be calibrated. I have short legs so it over estimates my distance. There is a way to calibrate it though, I've just been lazy :laugh:

I say go for it. It is a great tool and if you already have the ipod it isn't that expensive.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/?locale=en_us

Is the counter atop their website correct?
    If so, there are a A LOT of people running RIGHT NOW. :noway:

:grumble: Interestingly enough, when I refreshed the page, the mile counter dropped back down to a much lower number. When I refreshed again, it went back to that number a second time. :grumble:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I'm trying to find more info on this....

I see the kit (the iPod connector and the shoe chip) for $29. Is that all you need? (Plus running shoes and an iPod and a sensor holder if not using their special shoes, of course.)

Does the sensor make your iPod pick music for your routine? How do the two link together? I don't feel like watching a video clip on Nike's website rolleyes.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike+iPod
    How does it measure your calories?? :huh:
  • strangesangria
    strangesangria Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Is it difficult to calibrate the sensor? I have the ipod already. I was thinking about asking for the Nike + shoes for my bday and the sensor. I didn't realize you could buy a clip to put the sensor in any shoes though. I do need new running shoes. I was wondering how it tracked calories as well. Does it come with software or do you store all your stats on the nike fit website? I need to watch the video on the website....
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    bump
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I think my Nike+ was one of the best 40$cdn I spend other than my Ascis shoes in regards to exercising more.

I use it every time I walk and now that I'm starting to run I love been able to see how fast I'm going. Its really a great motivator for me.

I just have a shoe clip to hold the sensor as I found Nike shoes to be uncomfortable (were they always because I used to wear them all the time in HS)

It was really easy to calibrate. I just took a short walk with it and it calibrated it then. And then after a particularly good and fast walk it asked if I wanted to re-calibrate based on that walk so I did:)

I love that when I need that extra boost of energy I can press and hold the centre button and it goes right to my power song too:)

I upload my date to the nike+ site and also synch it with mapmywalks.com

Since you have to replace the sensors (cant just change a battery) I'm going to start stocking up on those until I have at least five so I dont have to worry:) (or in case of a natural disaster;) lol

Fiona
    137112.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    It sounds really good but what if you do not want to use an ipod for it (I don't even want it strapped to me)? I saw them talk about a wrist strap but so no where to purchase it. Does anyone have that?
  • KatWood
    Options
    Is it difficult to calibrate the sensor? I have the ipod already. I was thinking about asking for the Nike + shoes for my bday and the sensor. I didn't realize you could buy a clip to put the sensor in any shoes though. I do need new running shoes. I was wondering how it tracked calories as well. Does it come with software or do you store all your stats on the nike fit website? I need to watch the video on the website....

I haven't calibrated mine yet but from what I have read it seems easy. You just need to find a stretch of road where you know the exact distance or use a treadmill to record an accurate distance.

Funny that right after I praised this my sensor died. Apparently the batteries are not replaceable and so I will have to buy a new sensor. I'm not sure how much they cost yet. It said they are suppose to have a 1,000 hrs battery life but I only got mine in Dec! The sensor is only suppose to use the battery when it senses motion but I suspect mine must have been staying on even when I wasn't using it. I read some reviews last night from other people complaining about the same thing. So my advice is to either manually pull the sensor out of your shoe after each use to turn it off or to really monitor your battery life on the website.
  • KatWood
    Options
    It sounds really good but what if you do not want to use an ipod for it (I don't even want it strapped to me)? I saw them talk about a wrist strap but so no where to purchase it. Does anyone have that?

I think I have seen them at Sportcheck in Canada but I'm not sure. If you have a pocket you could always stick an ipod in there. You don't have to wear it in an arm band, which I do but I admit can be uncomfortable. When I am on the treadmill at the gym I don't wear it at all I just leave it on the treadmill.