Running with a bad knee

I've recently begun running, and I love it, but my knee has been acting up. I've had my ACL replaced twice, and was told that my 'bad' knee is just as strong as my other....but it sure doesn't feel so great! It swells and bruises just from one run. I know athletes get this surgery all the time and still perform....but how?! Any other runners have any methods?

Replies

• XoSaraoX
    XoSaraoX Posts: 97 Member
    i am going for my second kneee surgery this fall, my knees have a bruises on them all the time and are always swollen, i wear a knee brace, and it seems to help a lot. if you just started running give it time, soon your knee with be use to that, and it shouldnt give you such a problem. when i first started doing cardio i was in soo much pain in my knees (both of mine are f'd)
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    I've had condromalacia patella (sp?) in both knees and am able to jog for fits and spurts now. What seems to work for me is taking walking breaks. I'm able to go long distances doing something like 4-6 min. jogging and 1-3 min. walking, even into the double digit miles (I have a 10 miler and a half marathon coming up - woot! - and am planning on a marathon in the fall). So, maybe try that? Good luck, and let us know what works for you!! Also, cross training is super helpful.
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Do knee braces work well? I've never had any surgeries, but I have a bad right knee, and I've been told I need to do strengthening exercises for that knee for the rest of my life. I keep running/walking but I can only get like 2 miles before my knee just craps out.
  • XoSaraoX
    XoSaraoX Posts: 97 Member
    my braces work well for me, but they have metal in both sides to act as support (not cheap ) try a brace from a pharmacy and see if it does anything for you.
  • I have had acl's repaired on both knees and I am able to ski and do most sports .Interval training for running would be a better way to start ,just slowly build on it.
    re braces and support look into kenesiology i think it is brilliant has helped me take a look following link

http://www.kttapeeurope.com/index.php
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    have you tried "purple pectin"? it's truly miraculous.

Certo liquid pectin + grape or pomegranate juice (yes, the calories are kinda high, but it takes away knee pain)!

Find info on http://www.livestrong.com/article/96303-pectin-grape-juice-home-remedy/

you can also just mix the entire packet of Certo into the juice container and store it in the fridge for up to a week.

EDIT: this is for joint pain; not sure about results for ligament pain, but I have a recently torn MCL, and I've just started taking it again mostly bc of step-ups grinding, but hoping it will help the ligament too.

blessings.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    I've had condromalacia patella (sp?) in both knees and am able to jog for fits and spurts now. What seems to work for me is taking walking breaks. I'm able to go long distances doing something like 4-6 min. jogging and 1-3 min. walking, even into the double digit miles (I have a 10 miler and a half marathon coming up - woot! - and am planning on a marathon in the fall). So, maybe try that? Good luck, and let us know what works for you!! Also, cross training is super helpful.

I've had chondromalacia since age 11, purple pectin is a miracle. http://www.livestrong.com/article/96303-pectin-grape-juice-home-remedy/
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Maybe walking?
  • jirocpa
    jirocpa Posts: 36 Member
    1) Have you thought about trying the barefoot/minimalist method? Or at least shorten your stride and land more midfoot.
    2) You might want to make an appt with a good podiatrist that understands runners and ask if he/she can do a gait analysis for you. Maybe your form is causing you problems?
    3) Do you perform any leg strenthening exercises, like squats, deadlifts etc? Any good trainer could give you lots of exercises that would help build and strengthen the tendons, ligaments and muscles around the knee and help stabilize it. Maybe that could alleviate some of the pain.
    4) Do you take any supplements, like glucosamine/chondroitin? That may help, but it takes a few months to really make a difference.

Think about it, and do your research.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Be sure to have the perfect shoes for you. You can go to a runner's clinic, they make you run on a treadmill and by evaluating the way you run, they can suggest the best type of running shoes for you. Shoes make a difference.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Stop running.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Do knee braces work well? I've never had any surgeries, but I have a bad right knee, and I've been told I need to do strengthening exercises for that knee for the rest of my life. I keep running/walking but I can only get like 2 miles before my knee just craps out.

Braces may or may not be indicated. I personally see them as "last resort" interventions--i.e. something you adopt when you have fully exhausted your rehab options or reached the limit of what rehab can do due to structural damage. The potential problem if you go with braces first off, is that the muscle will never become adequately strengthened, and can sometimes become weaker.

A middle ground could be doing some type of bracing while you are getting started, but aggressively doing rehab as well to wean yourself off the support.

If your knee problem was diagnosed a long time ago, or if it was done by a family doc, or if you never did formal therapy, it might be time for a 'tune up".