treadmill shoes

Options
Three questions:

How do you know when you need new treadmill shoes?

Is there a way to break them in so they don't break me?

What is the best kind to get for overpronate?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• lisabom
    lisabom Posts: 4
    Options
    I have new balance running shoes. They are the best shoes I have ever had. They have a few different types; running jogging and walking. I knew it was time to get a new pair when I started getting shin splints. I didn't even have to break them in. Most of the time there are sales where you could get them cheaper.
  • jirocpa
    jirocpa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    go to good running shoe store, and have them fit you. Before hand, you could take a wet print of the bottom of your foot to see what foot type you are (height of arch). Most, if not all, running shoes these days are so flexible they don't need to be broken in. You may not want to set a PR in them the first time out, but you could immediately put them into your shoe rotation.
  • MeMountainMom
    MeMountainMom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    go to good running shoe store, and have them fit you. Before hand, you could take a wet print of the bottom of your foot to see what foot type you are (height of arch). Most, if not all, running shoes these days are so flexible they don't need to be broken in. You may not want to set a PR in them the first time out, but you could immediately put them into your shoe rotation.

PR? is that personal record?

Thanks that's great idea. never thought of doing a wet print before. :smile:
  • Mizzou91
    Mizzou91 Posts: 249
    Options

PR? is that personal record?

Yes, PR is personal record and take the advice above. Getting fit is VERY important. What the right show is for me might be the worst possible shoe for you.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Two of the stores I went to for evaluations had digital pressure pads, so no need for a foot print to be brought in.

And the right pair of shoes shouldn't need to be broken in. I bought mine on a Tuesday, went home, got changed and went for a five mile run. And the shoes were so perfect and comfortable that I ran at a faster pace than I had been able to in months. Ran Wed and Thu in them and then did my 12.5 mile run in them in my 10-K race pace. Then I've followed the same running schedule this week.

My feet are so happy it's unbelievable. And all of the raw, rub spots, blisters, rough skin, etc that my old shoes had been causing are all healed or healing.

So I definitely going to get a full running evaluation and just pick the shoe that is most comfortable to you based on the evaluation. It's been the absolute best thing I've done for myself since I started MFP.
  • jirocpa
    jirocpa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes, sorry. PR is for personal record.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    +1 on fit, if your shoes fit properly they don't need breaking in. There should be no pressure points, try on several pairs at the running shop before making your final selection. Don't feel pressured into buying the most expensive pair they show you either, it's fit and comfort that rule - not price tag.